Chapter 1

Part 1

Allie POV

Hi, I'm Allie. I know, a little plain, but it's the best way to introduce myself. I would be telling you this but I can't. I could try but you'd have to learn to read my lips. Before you ask, what I'm talking about, you'll see. This is my story.

To start with, music is my passion. Music is pretty much what I'm supposed to do, it's why my life exists... or so I thought. Even when I was a child, I absolutely loved music. My parents used to watch The Brady Bunch and mom says that every time it came on I would stop whatever I was doing in my playpen and start bouncing along to the theme song. I sing in my church choir and my school's show choir. I play the tuba in marching band and concert band and I dance. At least I try. I don't take classes for that although it's been, um, suggested a few times. Music runs through me. I have a really good ear. I can pick any one person or instrument out of an entire group.

My best friend's name is Ace. Of course that's not her real name though. It's just her nickname in the group. I guess I should probably tell about "the squad". There's me and Ace of course. Then there's my twin brother, John. Everybody thinks he's my little brother because I have way outgrown him in height even though we're sixteen. It's always funny when somebody asks, "Is that your little brother?" Eventually people asked it so much, we just started answering with a yes and he acted like a little kid for the rest of the night. The others in the group are my other three closest friends, Hunter, Keaton and Jackson. Hunter and Keaton have been best friends since kindergarten. Keaton is sort of quiet but he's still a mess. Hunter is the one you have to watch. You turn your back, something's either being ambushed with paper balls or covered in highlighter. The last one, Jackson, is kinda... well let's just say my opinion of him may be a little biased.

All of us are music people. We all have something to do with music. Well, except for Jackson but I can excuse him. Hunter, Ace and I are in the show choir and then Keaton, Ace, John and I are in marching and concert band. Hunter can sing all the way down to bass and all the way up to soprano. He can sing higher than I can when he tries. His voice range is absolutely amazing. I sing alto and Ace sings first soprano. In band, I play tuba, Ace plays clarinet, Keaton is our bass clarinet and John is a percussionist. Keaton and I can normally practice together pretty well because we have the same parts even though we play on different clefs. We just have to listen to the other one play without looking at the other one's music.

My story starts at a concert. The concert with both band and show choir performing in the same show. The Christmas concert. I was standing between Ace and Hunter, when our teacher came to the front of the stage and said she had a special announcement.

"Hello to everybody. I know you guys don't want to see me, you want to see the kids sing but this is what you've got for a few minutes." laughter from the audience of course,

"I have a special announcement. Tonight, at the end of the concert, six of our students will be called up to the front of the stage to perform a special song. They haven't been told so this is a surprise for everybody. Those six will each be chosen by a professional music group to enter a competition. The first ones to be chosen tonight are those chosen by the Pentatonix. There will be more than one person to be chosen and they will have to try out in front of the actual Pentatonix and one of them will be chosen to be an addition to the group. Now, let the concert begin."

I was so shocked when she made the announcement. The Pentatonix choosing people from my school? That's awesome! Of course we were all jittery in anticipation by the end of the concert. Finally, she came back out to announce the six that will be chosen by the music groups.