Chapter 7

This morning is kind of nerve wracking. I told Allie to text me when she got home from the scan. Geez, if I'm nervous, I can't imagine how she's doing, she's the one actually going through the scan.

"Ok Ace, calm yourself. You'll be fine. Wait, she'll be fine."

Lord, I am losing my mind. I can almost hear all my friends agreeing. Either that or they'd ask what I had to lose but, my mind is still gone. And made of fluff. I swear, those things in my head that my doctor mistakes for brain cells are actually fluff cells. Dust bunnies. Always dust bunnies. Then again, Allie's scan isn't the only reason I'm nervous. I am about to freak out. Keaton's taking me out tonight and I am so nervous. Yeah I've been on a date before but still, the first date is always slightly terrifying to start with.

Allie calls me and I kind of forget to ask about her scan because I'm so scared for the date and I just go right off and start blabbering. Sometimes, I'm very surprised she doesn't get tired of hearing me talk. I talk a lot. Especially when I'm nervous. Then she mentioned that they would get her results "later that week". Why is it always later in the week?! I think it drives me just as crazy as it does her.

She comes over to my house when they get home, she's going to help me with my hair. It's frizzy like you wouldn't believe and it is so hard to deal with but she says she loves working with it. She says that if hair is too smooth, it slips out of your fingers so it's easier to work with mine. I still don't get it especially considering how many knots she has to work out while she's doing it. I'm actually gonna run a brush through it this time. The whole time she's doing my hair, I'm sitting there just going on and on... again. When she's done, she looks at it and cocks her head.

"Yep, looks good."

"What is it?"

"Braided bun"

I reach back and feel it.

"Feels like a little too much for just a braided bun, what else did you do?"

"Eh, it's not too much, take a look."

She hands me a makeup compact and I stand, back to the bathroom mirror and look at the back of my hair in the mirror.

"What do you mean, 'not that much'? You did a fishtail thingy! This is cool."

"It's a french fishtail to start with then I wrapped it into a bun. It's still a braided bun though. As I said, it wasn't too much. It only took a few minutes."

I know absolutely nothing about hair. She knows everything about hair. I guess it works out. I tell her, bluntly, often not knowing what I'm commenting on, how pretty whatever hair do it is and she does my hair either whenever she feels like it or whenever I need it done for some special occasion. I have my own personal hair stylist and she has a life sized barbie doll. It's a win-win. I was incredibly nervous. This was the first date since a major break up for me and it was scary. I hear the doorbell and pray that dad isn't in the kitchen.

"Keaton."

Too late. 

"Mr. Cordell."

Dad gives him the average intimidation, threats, so on and so forth. You better believe that by the time dad was done, Keaton and I were both ready to get out of there. Allie kind of just stood to the side and laughed at Keaton's face. I have to admit, it was a little bit funny. The date was wonderful. It was, at one point, still replaying in my mind. I had to tell Allie. Later that week, Allie, her mom and I all went shopping and I told them about the date. It was a really boring week for Allie because she was waiting for her test results but mine was pretty interesting. That night after I got home, Allie texted me. Maybe I left something in their car or something.