Chapter 5

Part 2

Ace POV

The first sign of anything going on with her was the night of that concert. I remember we had all spent the day at Allie's house. We always do on concert days. That night was very interesting, I will say that. Hunter, Allie and I were in the chorus part, Allie, Keaton, John and I in the band part and Jackson couldn't be there that night. Wrestling match. So the very first thing that I really paid any attention to was the Pentatonix thing. When they called out Allie, Hunter and I, I was amazed but not nearly as much as Allie. She didn't even realize she was picked, she was so excited for us.

"Allie, you made it too, didn't you hear them say 'Allison Loche'?"

Then we all start jumping up and down and capturing Hunter. He hates it when she and I get excited because the majority of the time, we will pull one of the guys in with us and, since he's the only one stupid enough to protest, he's normally our main target. The rest of them are smart enough to just not say anything about it but he protested once, and now it's just all over for him. Hunter escaped but not for long. Once we were done singing and our names were announced, he ran like there was no tomorrow and we still got him.

"Gah, somebody help me!"

"Alright, Ace I guess we can let him escape."

It was so funny. As soon as he got away, he started freaking out and stuff. I guess had just hit him or something. When we had been singing before I noticed something though that distracted me, ever so slightly. Allie's voice gave out. She's not known to let her voice get out of shape and I know she's not sick. Maybe she sang too much yesterday I guess. Hunter got to go ahead and meet the Pentatonix but we still had to play in the band concert. Once we got out, Hunter still seemed a bit bewildered. Keaton went ahead and introduced us all because he seemed to be the only one unphased by a "celebrity presence" as our chorus teacher called it later on.

"So, I guess I'll introduce all of these guys because I'm apparently the only one that can speak. This right here, is the amazing Allison Loche. Then we have of course the all powerful, Grace Cordell. When I say all powerful, I mean it, don't do anything stupid and you may survive. I assume that you know that the one that you have been talking to is Hunter." once we had all introduced ourselves, thanks to Keaton, they actually took us to a studio to try out to see who would be in the competition. I auditioned and went out to wait for Hunter and Allie to get done. When Allie got done, she came out with us and Jackson was there actually.

"I know, you're going to fuss, but my match was over. There were only three more that still had to wrestle. I lost anyway so I didn't need to wait until the end for anything. I heard what was up with you, Ace and Hunter, so I decided that I had no reason to stay. I thought I would come here and see you guys."

She kind of gives him the look that says he should have stayed but I think she appreciates him coming either way. When we were all done, we went back to the school. We wanted to see the middle schoolers' performance. Hunter was trying to make Jackson swallow a "dust bunny" as Hunter called it, because Jackson had fallen asleep so, naturally, I wanted to help. I started making suggestions.

"Well you could just-- you know I've got a better idea. Hunter, will you put that down? That's not going to do anything. You need like a beetle or something, a dead fly is not going to wake him up." Allie sees Hunter and I planning what to make him swallow.

"Put that down and do not put a beetle on his forehead. If you want him to wake up, you've got to be more creative than that." So yeah, I was disappointed that she didn't let us stick a bug on his face but at least she woke him up with the tuba. That was hilarious so we did have a little bit of entertainment. That night was probably the best night I'd had. It was so good that I had almost forgotten to ask Allie what happened with her voice but apparently I wasn't the only one that noticed it. Hunter asked her about it as we were leaving.