Listen and you will hear (1)

I L L Y R I A

I sat on the park bench which overlooked a cliff by the seaside. It was a rather cold and blustery day and yet I found myself, yet again, admiring the sea.

It seemed to call to me like no one else.

I inhaled deeply and sharply, taking in the scent of the salty sea below me.

I stood from the bench and made my way over to the cliff's edge. I looked around the edge and saw an old, ancient even, stone staircase covered in moss led down the side of the cliff to the sandy beach shore.

I walked over to the top of the staircase and moved aside old overgrown bushes that tried to block the staircase.

There was one bush in particular, that refused to move. I became easily frustrated with this particular one and resorted to yanking in up from the wet soil and throwing it aside. I had a burning fire of sudden determination to get to the water. I felt that this fire could only be put out by the water.

I took the first step with great caution, not wanting to fall to my death, which would be undoubtedly painful if I did happen to fall.

The steps were dampened by the salty and chilled air and the night tides which I didn't doubt came as high as the steps.

I finally was on the last few steps when I saw the grainy and damp sand come into view from in front of the two bushes that stood in front of the bottom step, hiding the staircase from view.

As I stepped off the final step I turned to see that the staircase had completely disappeared from my view and I was faced with two bushes.

I smiled, that's why the the staircase was so old and abandoned. No one could find it.

I took my sandals off, leaving me in only my white sundress, and let my bare feet feel the grainy wet sand of the shore.

I walked up to the water's edge and let my toes dig into the sand, one might not even call it sand though, just wet mush.

I inhaled once more and a serene smile graced my lips as a sense of calm swept over me.

I stepped my feet into he water and felt peace, serenity, and joy fill my soul.

What I did not expect was the violence that filled me afterwards.

My body shook in the bloodlust that carved it's way into my very being. And yet, I continued to walk deeper into the water.

A melodic voice filled my head and sang.

"Hinè Ma Tov Hoo Ma Na Eim Chevet a Henem Ja Hàd"

I found my voice unwillingly singing along. Every fiber of my mind screamed to stop and turn back onto the dry land but my body wouldn't seem to listen.

A sad voice filled my mind and said, "We tried to stop you but the pull was too strong."

My eyes widened. What pull?

Only once I was neck deep in the water did the melodic singing in my head stop.

I felt hot tears prickle my vision as the violence set another fire within my soul. I wanted so desperately for it to stop but it only got worse.

My legs seemed to stop working and turned to mush beneath me as I saw a white mass swimming towards me at untold speeds.

I cried out in fear but my toes dig into the sand beneath me, keeping me from moving. I probably couldn't have gotten away from it even if I tried.

Many more white masses sped towards me and some harsh screeching followed them.

I was scared out of my wits and screamed.

The masses swam to the surface and turned out to be beautiful women. They all looked at me with curiosity in their eyes.

A sob ripped through my body as I looked at all of them. "P-Please don't h-hurt m-me." I cried, shaking as I tried to back away but found myself restricted by seaweed which was wrapped around my leg.

One, with blonde hair and daring blue eyes looked me over and smiled understandingly.

"Here, let me help you with that." She said sweetly. She dove under the water and her tail came up.

Her tail.

Now that was more than enough to set me off.

Everything turned black the moment my legs were freed and I awoke hours later on the sandy beach to see a mark drawn in the sand. It looked like a three triangles linked together by some strange swirl.

I ran, forgetting my shoes on the beach, but not caring. As long as I got away from the sirens in the water, I was fine.

Or so I thought.

***

Hey, so this was pretty intense,
Trust me I know,
but I hope you will like the next chapter!

Illyria's name is pronounced:
(ill-eye-ree-ah)