The Sounds Ricochet (3)

I L L Y R I A

I jolted awake and felt my fangs burst through my gums. It wasn't painful, in fact it felt refreshing. My senses seemed more heightened and aware than ever before.

I smelled Ailani downstairs and found myself hissing. I tried to keep a shred of my humanity in mind, as not to awake any of my family.

Once I was passed all of their rooms and out of their possible hearing ranges, I tore down the stairs to see what had woken me. I was sure that Ailani was probably killing someone and while I should be mad about that, a piece of me wanted to be in on it. I was both relieved and disappointed to see that she had turned on the kitchen faucet and that was what had awoken me.

"You have to tell me something about this." I demanded.

Ailani has a dangerous glint in her eyes.

"Fine."

I waited patiently, glaring at her expectantly. She sighed and rolled her eyes.

"You're a siren."

I scoffed. "No duh! How?"

"You were sacrificed." Ailani didn't seem intent on sharing any details with me.

"Ailani you have to give my some information about this. Are we immortal? What's with the fangs?" I asked.

"Yes, we are immortal. The fangs, well you see, sirens are in essence, Vampire Mermaids. We drink blood like vampires but we react to and thrive in water." Ailani explained beckoning me over to the couch.

"So, mermaids?" I deadpanned.

We both sat down and her green eyes shone. "We can compel humans and any supernatural being on the Earth. We are easily more powerful than Mermaids."

"How did I get sacrificed?" I asked curiously.

"You were human a week ago right?" She paused allowing me to nod. "Well you were drawn to the blood beach where we lured you into the water. The moment you stepped into the water, you forfeited your soul to the siren pod."

"That's not fair, I didn't know what was happening." I grumbled.

"Neither did the rest of us when it happened to us." Ailani shrugged.

"Are you going to kill any of my family?" I asked, my fangs coming back out.

"No, they're under your bloodline so if I were to drink their blood it would be like drinking yours. It's against siren law." Ailani said sounding rather disappointed.

"Well at least you guys have some boundaries." I muttered.

"I think you mean at least we have some boundaries." Ailani smirked at me and my eyes widened.

I kept forgetting that.

I'm a siren now.

Look at this absolutely gorgeous cover made by zaramartinez- Thanks so very much!!

Thanks so very much!!