Some Things You Can't Escape (2)

I L L Y R I A

I had been hopelessly doodling the mark that I had awoken to find next to me on the beach.

It was the morning that I had decided to give up on that day, hoping it was some strange fever dream, that Ailani arrived.

I had tied my hair back into a high ponytail and thrown on a blue t-shirt and some shorts with my light blue high tops.

"Mom!" I yelled.

"Yeah?" She yelled back from upstairs.

"Do we have anymore waffles?" I yelled hopefully.

"Sorry Sweetie!" She yelled apologetically.

I groaned. Of course we didn't have anymore.

I walked over to the table where my siblings had left their leftovers, so pretty much most of the waffles. I shook my head. Such ingrates. They don't realize how lucky they are to have gotten the last waffles.

I scurried over to the utensil drawer and snatched a fork out and ran back over to the table. My sister, Jeanie, had left her waffles in a pool of syrup, allowing them to soak in it.

I ate it nonetheless. It felt like chewing on a sponge, rightfully so.

The waffle had absorbed all of the syrup and I became far too disgusted to eat it so I disposed of the rest.

I sighed and began my chores. Today it was to wash off the plates.

I turned on the faucet and felt like my skin was cooling down. It felt like I had been on fire, burning, all week and that the fire was finally being put out.

I felt relief and a serene smile fell upon my lips as I lost myself in the feel of the water. Then, the doorbell rang.

The sound of the bell echoed in my ears and a scent flooded my nose. I felt a familiar pull, which I fought with my own, pulling the opposing force to me.

The door suddenly flew open to reveal a girl with tow blonde hair and pale skin. She looked exhausted and her pupils were dilated as she turned to me.

Fangs were visible in her row of teeth and it made me cower back. But then somewhere inside my soul a demon awoke.

I felt something shift and suddenly I was a fanged monster with webbed hands, much like the girl at the door.

I inhaled deeply, allowing myself to track her scent.

She freed me from the seaweed. Almost as if she could read my thoughts, she shifted back into a beautiful girl again and I did the same.

"I'm Ailani. You must by Illyria." Ailani said pleasantly.

I nodded and my Mom walked down the stairs. "AILANI! You've grown so much!"

I stood there confused. "Mom." I hissed and my mom looked at me.

"How do you know her?" I asked using my senses to detect her motives finding that they all involved me.

"Her Dad and I dated in College and stayed friends afterwards." Mom said casually.

The story seemed to surprise Ailani as well but we didn't push it.

"Ailani is staying with us for a few days. You'll share a room." Mom said excitedly running back upstairs.

Ailani looked at me with a sweet smile and dilated blue eyes. "Some things you just can't escape Illyria."

~

LOOK AT THIS PRETTY AESTHETIC shethetigress MADE FOR ILLYRIA