Chapter One

Alright, new fanfic! This is my first in the Undertale fandom, and I gotta say, I'm pretty proud! This was a hell of a lot of fun to write, and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did making it! This first one is short and sweet, but then they begin to pick up a bit.  

"How...How is he doing that?!?"

"I'M...NOT QUITE SURE, TO BE HONEST."

Papyrus and Undyne were both standing in the doorway of Sans' room, gawking and speechless. The older skeleton was sleeping, as usual, but somehow he'd managed to fall asleep on top of the perpetual tornado in his bedroom. One of his arms dangled over the side, the other being used as a pillow, as he spun in a lazy circle, his legs curled in and tucked into his chest. He was snoring, loudly, and even though his eye sockets were closed, the two other monsters could see the glow of magic in his left eye.

Undyne cleared her throat, then crossed her arms. "Well someone needs to wake this dork up, because he's late for his sentry duty and I swear I will beat his ass into next week if we miss a human coming through here because he couldn't stay awake long enough to care about something other than his next nap." She finished her statement with a huff, glaring at the sleeping monster.

"UNDYNE, THE ONLY THINGS THAT CAN WAKE MY BROTHER UP ARE PUNS AND NIGHTMARES, NEITHER OF WHICH APPEAR TO BE HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON. WE JUST NEED TO LEAVE HIM BE."

Undyne raised an eyebrow, glancing at Papyrus. "Nightmares huh? What could your lazy, slacker of a brother possibly have nightmares about?"

Papyrus tapped his fingers together, sweating nervously under the fish monster's steely gaze. "UM, WELL, HE NEVER...HE NEVER REALLY TELLS ME, BUT-BUT-BUT WHEN YOU HAVE ONLY ONE HP, I GUESS THERE'S A LOT TO BE AFRAID OF." He slapped a hand over his mouth, eyelights shrinking until they were barely visible.

Undyne's jaw dropped. "One...only one HP?!? What the fuck?!?"

"LANGUAGE, UNDYNE," Papyrus scolded half-heartedly. Sans made a noise on his sleep, and both intruders flinched. "HE REALLY DOESN'T LIKE TO TALK ABOUT IT. I'M PRETTY SURE WE'RE THE ONLY TWO WHO ACTUALLY KNOW, YOU CAN'T TELL ANYONE, PLEASE UNDYNE."

Papyrus was giving her puppy-dog eyes, his right eye glowing orange faintly from distress. Sans rolled over in his sleep, both legs now dangling of the tornado as well as that one arm, the other now draped across his chest. His snoring quieted down to deep, even breaths. Sighing, Undyne walked slowly over to Sans' bed, plucking a deep blue blanket from the compressed ball of sheets, and wordlessly laid it over the sleeping skeleton. Mentally warring with herself and not quite understanding why she was doing this, she marched out of the room, keenly aware of Papyrus' confused stare at her back.

"You comin' or not, Papyrus? We both have to work twice as hard now that your lazy brother isn't coming into work today." She didn't have to turn around to know that Papyrus was beaming. His smile always just radiated magic. She was tackled from behind in a hug.

"THA NK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, WILL WORK TRIPLE TO MAKE UP FOR SANS! NO ONE HUMAN WILL GET PAST ME, NYEH HEH HEH!"

Undyne let her own grin form. He was just so energetic and enthusiastic; it was infectious. "Alright, alright, get off me! Now get to your post, soldier!" Papyrus snapped a brief salute before running off, laughing. She allowed her gaze to wonder back over to Sans' sleeping form, her eye narrowing slightly. "I know you're hiding secrets," she mumbled. Sans frowned in his sleep, shifting a little bit. "And you bet I'm gonna find a way to get them out of you. Punk."

Quietly, she closed his bedroom door, then went to follow Papyrus outside.