Chapter Five

Final chapter! I know I said the last chapter was my favorite to write, but THIS chapter is my personal favorite over all! I would just like to say that Flowey is absolutely HILARIOUS to work with!  

Sans was missing.

Again.

It had been days since anyone, monster or human, had seen him. The entire monster race had been combing the city for days, franticly searching for any sign of the beloved, comedic skeleton. Undyne had yet to stop swearing, masking her worry with the constant urge to bench press everything...usually Alphys. The scientist herself had been spending most of her time, when she was not being suddenly lifted off her feet by her crazy girlfriend, making some machine that was supposed to pick up on Sans' soul energy and lead them right to him. Of course, it wasn't working yet, but she was hopeful.

Toriel and Asgore were taking turns looking after Frisk, one watching them while the other joined the search party. It was slightly difficult, even after a year and a half on the surface Toriel still refused to speak to her ex-husband unless absolutely necessary. To make things even more complicated, Flowey had appeared on Toriel's doorstep about a two weeks ago, grumbling in a large pot with Frisk at his side. They'd made him spill everything; who he was, how he'd come to be that way, his RESETs. Frisk had said nothing of their own experiences, but was overjoyed when Flowey had teared up a little, the first real emotion he'd ever displayed in that form, when Toriel burst into tears and hugged the pot close.

And Papyrus...

Well...

Papyrus was losing his goddamn mind.

He refused to sleep, to eat, to even go home until he found his older brother. When the other monsters had long since retired for the night, he was still out on the streets of the city, trying to find any trace of Sans' presence. In fact, he'd only been home once since Sans' disappearance was discovered, and that was when Mettaton had forcibly dragged him back for some sorely needed sleep and food. Even now, he paced back and forth in his backyard, worrying incessantly and refusing to step one foot indoors and rest.

"I CAN'T TAKE IT, METTATON!" Papyrus gripped both sides of his skull with his hands. "WHAT IF HE WAS KIDNAPPED AGAIN?! WHAT IF HE'S LOST AND HE CAN'T FIND HIS WAY HOME?! WHAT IF HE'S DEAD AND I'LL NEVER EVEN FIND HIS DUST!!!" The hysterical skeleton sobbed, swaying on his feet. His boyfriend caught him just in time.

"Stop worrying so much, Papyrus, I'm sure Sans is fine! He may not have a lot of HP, but he has some of the most powerful magic I've ever seen! He can handle himself," Mettaton soothed, shifting to sit down in the grass and lay Papyrus in his lap. He idly stroked his skull, murmuring words of comfort while simultaneously keeping an eye on Frisk and Flowey, who were playing nearby. It was one of the few times Flowey was trusted, and supervised, enough that he was let out of his pot. The former prince was burrowing all over the yard, chasing the human child in what looked like a weird game of tag, Frisk shrieking with delight.

The robot star watched with wary eyes as Flowey sunk back below the Earth's surface once more. He had no idea why, but the little flower just made him...uncomfortable. He wasn't the only one either. Maybe it was the fact that the soulless monster used to be the beloved Prince Asriel, borderline unbelievable with how fundamentally different their two personalities were. Or was it his smile – something about it just screamed off. Whatever it was, whenever Flowey glanced in his direction, Mettaton's entire being locked up, crawling and itching with the instinct to run.