Chapter 19

Susana laid the baby down on her lap so he could see her face. She cradled his little head in her hands and bounced her legs gently. He squinted at her, as if he couldn't quite see her, and a bubble of drool spilled out of his moist lips.

"I'll get that, Caspar," Susana said quietly. She pulled the cloth off her shoulder and dabbed at his tiny mouth. He turned his head away from her. "There," she said.

"You're a natural," Anna said. "And I'm beginning to see the resemblance between you two. At first all newborns look the same, but now he's definitely starting to look like you."

"You think so?" Susana said, tilting her head to one side.

"I do," Anna said. Anna was standing at the kitchen table, kneading a large mound of dough. One of her daughters stood beside her and kneaded a smaller mound.

Susana smoothed his wispy dark hair and let him grab her finger.

"How are things at the Noble Ladies' Orphanage?" Anna asked.

Susana sighed. "It doesn't seem like anything has changed yet. I'm the only one living there because they took all of the furniture from my house. With my own furniture and my own servants, it just feels like the walls have changed. It's been so quiet all summer, but it's been fine."

Anna nodded.

"But the opening ceremony is tomorrow, and all the other girls will move in then. I'm nervous," she added.

"I would be, too," Anna said. "You'll make new friends and learn new things. Do you know any of the other girls?"

"Just Zdenka," she said. "Did you know Zdenka is going to be one of the students?"

"Yes, she told me," Anna said. "She couldn't believe her good luck."

"I know," Susana said. "She'll get to learn to read and speak German and all sorts of other things. I'll have to remember to try hard not to ask her to fetch anything for me."

Anna laughed. "I'm sure she won't mind if you do," she said. "Zdenka is so good-natured."

"Yes," Susana said. The baby started fussing. She pulled him up off her lap and held him against her shoulder. She patted his back like Anna had taught her, but he continued fussing.

"Hold on just a little longer," Anna said. "He's hungry, but I have to get this bread into the pans." She worked quickly, instructing her daughter to clean up the dusting of flour on the table.

Caspar's whimpers escalated, and Susana stood up so she could bounce him around easier. Instinctively, she began humming a tune her mother used to sing to her. As she bounced him and sang, his cries softened and she felt his little head lean into her neck. His breathing slowed down and within a few minutes he had fallen asleep.

"Wow," Anna said. "Good work."

"Thanks," Susana said. She swayed back and forth, holding the baby close to her. She breathed in his sweet baby smell and got a lump in her throat. When Anna crossed the room to take him from her, she saw tears in Susana's eyes.

"What is it, dear?" she asked tenderly.

"I miss my mother," she said.

"Of course you do," Anna said. She put her arms around Susana, and Susana tipped her head toward Anna.

"Hello, Ladies," Peter said. He took off his hat as he ducked his head, walking in through the front door. Susana wiped her eyes on the baby's blanket.