Chapter 1: Totally Normal College Affairs.

Trial one: Survive.  

 I set my glasses on the small desk in front of me and rub my eyes. The teacher finishes writing on the whiteboard and walks back to his desk.

"Once you finish writing down the notes on the board, you are dismissed. Have a good weekend. And remember, you have a test on this next Friday. Be prepared," Mr. Kap reminds us.

I push the stray strands of hair back into my beanie and put my glasses back on. As more students finish writing, the classroom becomes more and more empty. I quickly scribble down the last of the English notes and start shoving my notes into my bag.

"Madd!" A shrill voice screams from the front of the class.

"What?" I calmly ask.

"Get down here," The voice demands. I pull my messenger bag over my shoulder and start down the stairs. "Mabel and I have a surprise for you!"

"Is it another date?" I sarcastically ask.

"It's another date!" Marilyn exclaims.

I sigh and give the blonde haired girl a hug, "I'm not going on another date, Mari. I know how much you love to set me up with people, but It's not going to happen."

She pulled away and gave her signature puppy dog eyes, "Oh, come on. Just one more shot, please?"

I sigh once more and say, "Fine." She squeals in delight and rushes out the door, probably heading for her sister. Shrugging my shoulder, I slowly follow, waving goodbye to Mr. Kap. I wander down the hall, looking for any familiar faces. As I walk I take note of an unfamiliar boy leaning against a wall. He's wearing a dark baggy shirt and baggy pants, and several bracelets and piercings. He looks almost like an emo skater dude from 2007. I ignore him as I pass and continue my search.

I find Mari in the cafeteria, adjusting her hair and clothes. What is she doing? I look behind her and see Shane, Mari's crush. Shane was here on a football scholarship, though he was one of the smarter kids in the school. He could've easily gotten a scholarship for statistics if he wanted to. Mari was obviously trying to avoid his attention, as she faced away from him and fiddled with her clothes. I stood beside her and watched her.

"Having fun there?"

"Madd, Shane is right behind me. Please don't do anything stupid," she begged.

I chuckle, "I'm surprised you're acting this way. The big matchmaker can't make herself a match." She glares at me but stays silent.

A pair of heavy pair of footsteps and a jockey voice calls, "Ah, Yo Madd!"

"Oh no, he's coming over here!" Mari squeaks. I chuckle once more and wave to Shane.

"Yo, Marilyn," Shane waves to her, before continuing, "So Madd, was it just me or was Mr. Ty being more pervy than usual?"

I nod my head in agreement and say, "Oh totally. He was staring at Suzan and I almost called him out for it."

Shane nodded and turned to Mari. "Hey, Marilyn?"

Mari, who had hidden behind me, quietly asked, "Yeah?"

Checking his watch, Shane asks, "Do you wanna go out and get some food? My next class doesn't start until 6 so, we have time."

"I'd love too!" Mari blurts out in excitement, before slapping her hand over her mouth.

Shane lets out a hearty laugh and responds, "Well then, let's go!" Shane grabs her arm and starts towards the door.

Mari, trying to keep up with Shane, calls out, "Talk to my sister, she'll tell you the details about the date. Be safe."

"I will. Have fun. Be safe," I tell her.

I turn around and head back out of the cafeteria, passing by that boy I saw earlier. He was watching me. Strange. I ignore him and I the school from the main entrance. I start down my normal root, heading for my apartment.