10 / Bill's Age Explanation

(Hello! This story is up and running again! Yay!)

I was writing the part in chapter 9 where Dipper says "You've lived for thousands of years." and I thought to myself, 'How old is Bill?' and 'What's Bill and Dipper's true age gap?'

Well. This 550 word-jumble is here to explain that. You don't have to read it, unless you're interested in my opinion of it. If not, skip to the bit where it has...

This :
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Before we start saying anything, I just want to get the point across that Bill is making himself change every year so he always looks the same age as Dipper. He's not actually ageing like a human.

Alright. Let's say beings such as Bill have a normal life span so long that they count their birthdays every 1000 years.

In my opinion to fit the story, before Bill is summoned by Gideon, he is about 17000 years old. The exact number (that I'm literally choosing right this second, randomly) is 17356. Since then, it's been about 3 years, so he's now 17359. Those 3 years go by extremely quick for him, as he is used to counting his age every 1000 years.

This is where it gets even more confusing.

Bill used to be human, but since he was turned into a demon at the age of 12, his real age is actually 5371.

Although, when a human is turned, their human years are converted to demon years as to not confuse other demons. This is because they mature a lot slower.

In other words, 1 human year is the same as 1000 demon years, like I said at the beginning. So a demon wouldn't be an actual teen until they are 13000 years old, and they'd still technically be a toddler at the age of 3000, etc.

But, since their demon years can be converted to human years, Bill is technically the same age as Dipper. Since he's roughly 17000 years old, those are converted to 17 years.

I'll explain this in yet another way, which is probably easier and the way I should've said in the first place.

Think of it like this. If someone (a human, in this case) is 1 year old, then they act like they are 1 year old. So when I say Bill is technically 17 years old, I mean he has the maturity of a 17 year old human.

When Bill was a 12 year old human, and was turned, he had the mind of a 12000 year old demon. This meant it was easier to just say he was 12000 years old.

Time went by, and he lived for another 5359 years. Add that onto his previous 12 years, and he's technically 5371 years old.

But demons label a new demon's age by their maturity, not by their actual physical age.

...

I should've just said that at first, shouldn't I?

Ugh! I can't be bothered to write it out again. This is the third time I've done it and it's currently 2 AM. I'm tired. So, if anyone even reads this mess, I hope you understand my nonsense. It's mainly for me to understand (as are all of my fanfics. I just thought I'd post them for no real reason) but my phone-life is boring, so y'know.

Anyways, on with the story!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

10 : How could I do this?

- Time Skip to Later in the Day -

Bill's PoV