The Nice Guy (part 1)

Frank, Thomas and Kirby enter the office break room at approximately 12:25pm on a Tuesday afternoon. Each man holds various containers designed for holding food and drink, and as they lazily slump into the fiberglass chairs that were haphazardly pushed under the table after their previous uses, the room echos of violent thwop-pops and elongated scraw- jips as tupperware lids fly open and velcro bags release their treasures.

"God Dammit!" Thomas rolls his eyes.

Frank, with a mouth full of cold pizza, mumbles in empathy, "Wife packed ya tuna-salad again, huh." Thomas tosses the soggy sandwich down onto the table with a resounding glop.

"She knows I hate this stuff! I swear, I've almost reached my breaking point with this shit!"

"Why don't you just pack your own lunch?" Kirby attempts to speak through teeth caked with salad. A drip of ranch dressing falls from Kirby's lip and collides with the table. Thomas just glares at Kirby in disdain.

"You don't get it, man. I've told her, like, fifty times. 'I don't like tuna- salad', but does she listen? Nooooooo!" Thomas raises his right hand to his forehead.

"I swear, I'm up to here with this!"

"Well, at least you're not like that one guy." Frank wipes his mouth of the residual pepperoni grease with a cheap paper napkin.

"What one guy?" Thomas looks at Frank in slight confusion.

"You talking about that guy from CompuTools? I heard about on the news last week." Kirby chimes in, he has already begun digging into his pudding cup.

Thomas spins around to Kirby, "What the hell are you guys talking about?" Frank, wipes off his hands with another napkin, folds his hands in front of him and leans in quietly. Thomas and Kirby follow suit.

"Y'see, there was this guy over at CompuTools. Nice guy, I hear. What was his name?" Frank concentrates in the ceiling, search for a name. Suddenly frank snaps his fingers, "Phil Kerbson. Anyway, He was one of those diligent workers, never complained, always got his work done before deadline. Hell, he would even stay late to make sure that his perfect record was never tarnished."

Thomas chimed in, "Ugh, I hate those guys!"

"Well, supposedly, CompuTools hired this new hotshot manager. Basic ROTC'd up from corporate, y'know… never lifted a finger in his life and get to skip right to the front?" Thomas shook his head.

"Exactly. So this guy was brought in to," Frank raised his finger quotations, "help. And since this douche really didn't know anything about CompuTools products, he would just bark orders and micromanage everyone. Everyone in the office was buzzing, 'We're gonna quit', 'Let's get HR involved', 'This guy is completely heartless', the usual empty water cooler promises. Everyone was in a tiff… except Phil."

"Phil would mind his own business and do his work with a silent smile. He would even go as far as asking this new manager, 'Anything else I can do to help?'' Well, I don't know if that manager deliberately planned to be this malicious or if it was just common nature for him, but he got this notion in his head… to see how far he could bend Phil, until he broke."

"Starting the very next day, the manager threw the biggest workflow onto Phil's desk and barked out, 'I need this done by 5 O'clock today or you can just pack your shit now!' or something to that effect. Phil quietly turned to face the manager, smiled his calm innocent smile and said 'Sure thing, boss.' 5 O'clock rolls around and Phil walks into the manager's office and proudly places the completed report onto the man's desk. 'Here ya go, boss.'"