Chapter 8

Chapter 8

“Annabel, this is my girlfriend, Jess. Jess, this is Annabel,” Ronnie, Aaron’s friend, introduced his girlfriend and me.

I could only describe Jess as a lively spirit. Her wavy blonde hair was only decorated by a colorful pin.

Ronnie and Jess kept joking about every single thing while we packed our suitcases in Aaron’s car.

“So are you and Aaron…” Jess asked.

Aaron and Ronnie had gone up to bring the last of their things. Ronnie and Aaron had insisted we bring a cooler for the trip. Since Jess and I hardly cared about that, we left them two in charge of drinks duty. 

“Friends,” I replied.

“Why?” She asked, a confused expression covering her face.

“We’re sorting some things out.”

It was me who was ‘sorting some things out’, and Aaron was being graciously patient with me. It just didn’t feel right to tell Jess the truth.

“How long have you two known each other?”

I shrugged, feeling slightly nervous with her questions about Aaron and me.

“Not long, just a few weeks.”

“I think you two would look cute together. It would be fun if you guys paired up. Ronnie and me are planning spring break at the beach,” she said, a small giggle escaping her lips. 

“Yeah? That sounds like fun,” I told her, because it really did.

Unfortunately, I already had plans. They were plans that I wasn’t looking forward too- but something that I had to do.

“I know. It would be awesome if you two could come along. Ronnie and Aaron are practically inseparable. I think you would like it,” she said.

“We’re meeting TJ over at the convention. He’s taking off later tonight with Pete,” Ronnie explained.

Even though we were going in Aaron’s car, Ronnie was going to be driving. Aaron had told me Ronnie had an unhealthy attachment with his car.  Other than initial shock, I could only laugh at that. By now, I knew how Ronnie was. 

Ronnie and Jess took up the front seats while Aaron and I sat in the back.

“Did you pack the games?” Aaron asked, as he began searching through a back pack he’d brought. Both Ronnie and he had their back packs with them.

“Yup, I did. Pete said we won’t need them though. They’ll have the games set up, along with the consoles,” Ronnie replied.

“Jess, pass Aaron my bag,” Ronnie said, pointing at Jess’s feet.

I couldn’t help but chuckle when Aaron got Ronnie’s back pack opened.

“There is no way you will need all those games,” I said.

“Hey, you never know. It’s better to come prepared. Last year, we only took five games. At the hotel- all the guys were trying to swipe them,” Ronnie said, grinning at me through the rearview mirror.

“And you let them?” I asked, cocking an eyebrow.

“Well, I was one of those guys swiping them. So, most of those games I didn’t really pay for,” he said, his grin getting bigger.