• 7. A رمضان Like No Other (١٤٤١): Part 3

• S e v e n •

A رمضان Like No Other (١٤٤١): Part 3

***

Note: Clearing the confusion, since people thought I was climbing Cinderella's chariot... the "sevgilim" from the last update (in the poem) referred to any beloved slave of Allah. And Allahu 'Alam, these are reminders for myself first.

***

Day [ ٢١ ]

Being a Muslim is the first step in accepting that there exists a bigger picture. How many times have we looked back on something we wanted done and said "phew. I'm glad that didn't happen."? And how many times have we thought "this is never going to happen." and then there was a miracle that made it possible?

The same goes for people. Interactions, when done right, will sometimes lead to disagreements because we're all different. It's inevitable and normal. But winning and losing are two words we've sown into definitions that don't quite fit. In fact, tell me a word that doesn't have exceptions. Doesn't it show us how flawed we are? And how little knowledge we have of things? Be it arguments, debates or discussions, we tend to believe victory is when somebody agrees with you.

It doesn't work like that.

At least for those who have imaan in their hearts.

Remember when the Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) went to Makkah the first time for Hajj with the Muslims? They were offered an unfair deal (Treaty of Hudaybiyyah), but the Prophet accepted it. His people were angry, understandably, because they'd come all the way from Madina and now they're being told to "go back". It was when Surah Al-Fath was revealed; through which they realised that they've already triumphed in Allah's eyes.

It's okay to let people 'win', as long as we've delivered what was required of us. We are so busy fighting the apparent victories that looking at the bigger picture scares us with its consequences. People often associate losing things to feeling like they're being bullied, but perhaps what takes something away from us is here to teach us sabr.

Because when it brings us closer to Allah, we've already won. ❤️

***

Day [ ٢٢ ]

Have you ever tried butterfly swimming? It's crazy hard the first time. I've probably forgotten most of its rules. One thing I remember though, is that the P.E. teacher told us it's like multitasking; there's too much coordination going on for you to get distracted. It made me wonder if the cure for procrastination is multitasking.

Hobbies aside, people divide their lives into professional and personal, and live through them like they're not interdependent. I don't think that's healthy, especially if your job is emotionally demanding. Imagine coming home from a heavy day at work and walking around with sunny smiles. It would eventually be like losing ourselves in the chaos we give too much importance to.

Even the elderly tell us it's a bad idea to multitask.

"You don't have to follow Islamic rules yet, you're too young, you should focus on studying."

"Don't look for a spouse if you haven't finished your degree."

"Don't let women work after marriage."

Some people would even say that it's like looking for struggle. In a worldly sense, you know, it might seem like that. But there's a difference between choosing things for this world and for the Hereafter. How wrong would it be to let go of a treasure because its value is nothing in this world but everything in the Next?