I

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐌𝐏𝐄𝐃

  𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐌𝐏𝐄𝐃. How was she supposed to find her? Sure, she had a general idea, but she could not be certain.

  She edged to her phone, bass guitar in hand, and dialled her best friend’s number.

  “Yo, Finn?” She called. “Or reincarnation of Finn? I dunno.”

  “Marceline!” The other end of the line screamed, causing the floating girl to giggle softly. Honestly, she did miss him and Jake.

  “Jake there with you?” She asked, playing with the phone cord.

  “Hell yeah, Jake come say hi!” The line crackled as Finn passed the phone to Jake.

  “Hey, Marcy.” Came Jake’s voice, and she grinned before hissing loudly into the receiver, causing him to scream, and the other line went dead for a moment.

  Marceline could see him crying behind a pile of blankets.

  It’s been too long. She thought fondly, and Finn came back to the phone.

  “Sorry, Jake’s peeing his pants–wait he doesn’t have any but you get it–and he dropped the phone.” Finn laughed. “So, what’s up?”

  “Oh,” Marceline rubbed her nape out of self-consciousness. “Just wanted to know...have you guys been talking to Bubblegum?”

  “Bubblegum?” Finn asked. “Yeah, why?”

  She felt secretly relieved, and she replied, “Thought that I’d drop by, you know, and see you guys again.”

  “Awwww, hear that Jake?”

  “Nooooooo–”

  “You old dog.” Finn chuckled. “Yeah, sure, Marcy, come find us.”

  “Where are you guys in the first place?” She asked.

  “New York City, North America.”

  “Er,” she thought, sad that she could not follow the swallows as planned. They were the most easy-going out of all the birds she had ever journeyed with. “Okay, I’ll come with the waterfowl instead then.”

  “What?” Finn screamed from the other line. “Why don’t you take the planes?”

  “What the glob?” Marceline asked, confused. “I’ve always travelled with the migratory birds for company. Generations of them know me, geez. I won’t spend money on planes.”

  “Argh,” groaned Finn. “Fine, but you’d take way longer.”

  “That’s part of the fun, dude.” She laughed. “Bye, Finn.”