xxiii. Lunch Date

♡ Odette's POV ♡

I hadn't seen my friends since I had been Chosen by Zayn nearly a month and a half ago. Needless to say, I owed it to them to at least visit. Besides, things at the Manor were starting to get back to normal, security gradually lessening. The Elites had apparently gone back home to the Salvatore residence, even though I hadn't seen a single one yet. Zayn said they preferred to keep a low profile, but still. I would like to at least meet one.

I had woken up alone again that morning, the cold sheets meaning Zayn had had to get up early for another meeting. It still stung a bit not seeing my king next to me when I woke up, but I understood he was a busy man. He couldn't just drop everything and be with me a whole day.

After getting dressed and having Falene do my hair and makeup, I set out for a quaint little cafe I had told my friends that morning we would meet at. Seamus tagged along, Zayn's orders. I could just imagine the little grimace he would have on his face, but after the incident at the beach town he couldn't have me go unattended.

Seamus was enjoying himself in the limo we took to the little cafe, pressing buttons and staring in amazement at everything. I had to laugh at his wonder, his big grey eyes looking like a child's as he messed with everything.

The cafe we were meeting my friends at was one of my personal favorites. Dad had always taken me to it whenever he got a day off from work, they made the best soups and sandwiches.

Zayn had booked the entire large party room in the cafe for just us four, taking every precaution to ensure I was safe. He probably wanted to come, but Ivy had informed him there were raids in a small farming village in the southern part of the Empire, and his services were to be needed.

We were seated by a nice man in the secluded party room, doors being shut to offer more privacy. Our drink orders were taken as we waited for my friends to show up, the sound of clicking heels on the hardwood floors minutes later an indicator of their arrival. The doors opened just barely, and Mazelle and Alice stepped in the room, looking just as I remembered.

Alice was dressed sweetly in a button up blue dress and Oxford shoes. Her brunette locks had been curled and pinned back a little, her deep chocolate eyes framed by shimmering champagne shadows. Silver jewelry was on her small fingers and wrists, making them look daintier and more fragile.

Mazelle's golden hair was up in a bun that gave me headaches just thinking of it. Her black day dress was new, sky high nude heels adding a good three inches to her tiny height. Timeless pearls were the only jewelry she wore, the necklace matching the earrings. Her makeup was perfect, her head held high and posture rigid and straight.

She let her strict manners slide as soon as she saw me, a huge smile on her face before she enveloped me in a hug.

"Hello, darling. It was so nice of you to invite us out." Mazelle spoke,

"I thought it would be nice to see you again after so long."

"Long? Odette, it's only been two months." Alice corrected me, she was always a stickler for accuracy.

"Still, I missed you." I smiled, both girls offering a small one in return.

We all took our seats, Mazelle's eyes settling on Seamus almost immediately. She had always been the most flirtatious one in our little group.

"Who's this?"

"This is Seamus, he's head of security at the Manor." I introduced him, Seamus shyly smiling at both of my friends.

"Head of security? Odette, you never told us you got your own hunky bodyguard!" Mazelle exclaimed, Seamus' eyebrows raising in amusement as he stared at me. I rolled my eyes at him jokingly before addressing my friend.