xxxii. Sacrifices

♚ Zayn's POV ♚

Things at the Manor had gotten a bit darker since we found out Odette had been kidnapped. There was a chilling atmosphere that settled over the extravagant hallways and rooms.

It was like the light in my life had been snatched away, and in a way I suppose it had been.

Odette wasn't here to light up my life, and it was killing me from the inside.

But I couldn't only worry about Odette. Seamus had to be working for the Revolution, and now that they had gotten one of us, it could not be a matter of time before they got to the rest of the royals.

Eli and Erica were leaving this afternoon to get back to England, and I knew exactly how to keep my family safe.

I had run into Eli while absentmindedly walking down the Manor hallways lost in my own thoughts.

"Eli," I stopped the English king in his tracks.

"Yes?"

"Take my family with you when you leave." I pleaded, Eli seeming a little taken aback. I hadn't meant for my voice to sound so weak and dejected, but that's what it came out as.

"Why?" He asked in confusion, becoming silent when he saw the dejected look on my face.

"I need you to take my family to England, where they'll be safe during the end of the Revolution." I spoke softly, Eli sighing before pulling me in for a tight hug. He had gotten stronger, like he had been working out. That was something Eli had never really been able to try before.

I realized the irony of my words as our roles were switched, Eli becoming the shoulder to lean on while I was slowly falling apart.

"Alright." Eli agreed.

***

My sisters quietly grabbed their things as they boarded Eli's jet, only offering me a hug, some kisses on the cheek, and hushed 'I love you's'. My father only gave me a hug and a nod, mentally telling me good luck.

My mother was the worst.

She was already crying as she carried her bag, walking up to me. She dropped her bag on the ground, hugging me painfully tight as she sobbed.

"Shh, Mum, it'll be alright. You're gonna be safe." I tried to calm her down, but she only shook her head.

"It's not that." She wiped away some tears with the back of her hand. "You shouldn't have to worry about our safety."

"Course I do. You're my family and a king has to protect his country and family."

"No, you shouldn't have to make decisions like this. And at seventeen for goodness sakes!" She cried out, her words hitting me like bricks.

I stayed silent as she continued.

"What about Sebastian and his father? What are you going to do about them?" She asked, and I noticed Ivy visibly tense to the side of me.

"Uncle will be going with you guys, a few Elites will be at Sebastian's bedside to protect him. He can't be moved at all, doctor's orders." I explained easily, my Mum nodding in understanding. With another quick hug and kiss on the cheek, she solemnly climbed the steps to Eli's jet.

The last two to board the jet had been Erica and Eli themselves. Eli had quietly told me in the hallway that Erica wasn't taking the news very well, partially blaming herself for Odette's kidnapping. All of the arguments Eli had used to try and persuade Erica she didn't do anything wrong were futile.

Even now Erica looked a little deflated. Her curly locks had lost some of their bounce and shine, and her usually bright eyes seemed darker. She didn't say anything to me as they approached me, but I opened my arms for a hug. Erica rushed into my arms, shaky breaths being taken as she cried softly.