Chapter 1•parking lot

Piper

I sat in my car with my forehead sitting on my steering wheel as Nessa sat in the backseat crying. "Nessa, baby why are you crying. I don't know what to do with you." I said I began to take her out of her car seat. Being a mother at such a young age was embarrassing. I didn't know how any of it worked neither did I have any family by my side to help me.

I took her out of her seat and rocked her in my arms cradle style. Her crying began to get quiet but still continued. I shushed her and sang to her until she was finally quiet. She was asleep and I kept her in my arms and went into deep thoughts.

Why am I alone? Why don't I have any family? Why did this have to happen to me? Why couldn't I have stopped what happened? My life is falling apart and all I can do was watch. I have nobody on my side.

Tears began to roll down my face as I thought about everything in my life. I kept my eyes closed for a while until I decided to just rest my head black on the steering wheel. I wasn't sleep but I wasn't awake. When my eyes were closed I felt like I was in heaven, like I hadn't been to sleep in years. Nessa was only about 2 weeks old, and continued to keep me awake at night. so at night I only got about 3 hours of sleep. ALL SEPARATELY.

I eventually ended up falling asleep on the steering wheel right there in the parking lot of a store. I heard footsteps approaching my car and I thought it would be someone in one of the cars around me. But in fact it wasn't. There was a knock on my window I quickly raised my head up in fear. I looked out the window and a woman stood there. She was very tall with long black hair flowing over her shoulders and as far as I could see considering it was night time, she had red lipstick on and black eyeliner. I slightly let the window down so that I could hear whatever she had to say.

"Can I.. help you ?" I spoke in a soft & calm manner trying not to wake Nessa. "You do realize where you are right?" She said with a raspy voice. "Shit. I'm sorry I fell asleep. My fault I'll leave now." I said shifting in my seat and putting Nessa on my shoulder patting her back. "Yea, um have you been crying are you okay?" I sat there silently. "Oh god. Do you need somewhere to go?" She was looking in the backseat where all of my belongings were.

She pushed her hair back with her fingers. "I'm....no I'm fine. It's okay, thanks. I'm just gonna go...get going." "No. I can't let you sleep in your car you.. obviously have a baby to feed so you guys should eat. Do you have any place to go?" She said pulling her purse back up to her shoulder. "I don't actually, no." I was trying to hold back the tears. It was clear I was a very sensitive person.

"Okay, I know we've only just met and hell you don't even know my first name. But I want you to know that I won't hurt you and that you can trust me. I have an apartment just up the street and you look awfully hungry and tired." I started to feel like I should give in and with that thought in my head I did. "Okay.. um where are you going with this ma'am?" "Please call me Alex and I want to suggest you come to my apartment. And... you could stay for as long as you want. I want you to trust me because.. from the looks of it, you've been hurt. A lot." She said starting to touch the bruises on my face. I winced in a pain a little.

"I'm sorry. are you.. gonna accept my offer miss?" I looked up at her and looked in her eyes. My eyes began to feel heavy and my stomach felt like a storm. I just gave in. "My names piper & You'd really do that for me? A stranger?" "Yes anything to help people." I lightly sighed and looked down at Nessa. I personally had never given her a real bath or a real bottle or anything babies actually need but breastmilk and diapers.