Chapter 14 - A Desperate Kiss

Xavier POV

It's the night after a long day of training and everyone was in bed or in their own rooms, I was sitting on the rocks by the lake a little while away from pack house, the moon was only half full but it gave enough light for me to see to the other side where the small waterfall sat.

"I wish I could go back in time" I muttered sighing as I threw pebbles into the water causing ripples to alter the perfect reflection of the forest around it and the moon and stars above.

"Don't we all" I heard someone mutter from behind me, shocked I spun round and saw Alpha Damien making his way over and sitting down heavily on the rock next to me and threw some pebbles in the lake as well.

"Why do you want to go back in time, you have a mate, unborn child, a son, an amazing pack and Skylar, why would you want to go back?" I asked confused, listing off all the things I wish I had.

"You only look at what you see now, yes I have a mate and an unborn child and a son but you need to look below the surface. I found my mate because of an unwanted circumstance, but well you don't see me complaining apart from when she starts crying because of her mum. Zander isn't really my son but my name is on the birth certificate as the father so if anything happened to Skylar I could look after him. My pack is so good because of hard work and training." He paused "And Skylar, she is a whole other story, I found her covered in bruises and cuts, crying in the woods. I would hold her at night as she cried over nightmares, the person who kept her sane was Timmy, and when we were able to, Carol and I helped, and it was because of your pack we had to piece her back together. If you asked me I would say that she is better off without you, but then I know you would be good to her this time" he said quietly at the end.

"Why?" I whispered looking down at the pebble in my hands and running the pads of my fingers slowly over the smooth surface.

"Because you will have my pack to answer to if you do the same thing again or even look at her in the wrong way" he said standing up "Try and make amends, but don't push her. I'm afraid there are only so many times you can piece someone back together" he whispered and walked away, disappearing in seconds between the forest shadows the moon caused.

I sat there for a few more minutes before sighing and standing up myself and making my way into the shadows.

As I walked up the porch of the house I saw Skylar sitting on the swinging seat looking up to the sky just watching the shadows of the clouds pass slowly over the stars you could see.

As I walked up the steps the steps creaked and groaned under my weight, making Skylar's head turn to me only to return his gaze back to the sky.

Walking over to her slowly I made my way over to her, I didn't dare to sit down next to her, not yet.

"Skylar?" I asked quietly

"What do you want Xavier?" she whispered gently still not looking at me.

"I want to apologise"

"I don't care for your apologies"

"Please Skylar, just let me apologise, I have waited 3 years to" I begged.

"Like I said before I don't care," she said coldly.

"Please" I begged dropping onto my knees in front of where she sat, I crawled until I was facing her, "Please" I begged into her knees "just hear me out"

"Leave me alone Alpha Xavier" she spoke coldly making my wolf who has been silent, howl.

Skylar stood up making me look up at her, the half moon looking like a broken halo above her head made my thoughts turn to what Alpha Damien said 'I'm afraid there is only so many times you can piece someone back together' That thought made my insides run cold and my wolf to fall into silence again.

I stood up, my height towering over her making her frown, "Please, can't you just listen to me?'' I asked as I reached a hand up and cupped the side of her neck, my thumb rubbing her cheek softly, sparks of warmth filling my hand and making their way up my arm slowly. She leaned into my touch at first, enjoying the sparks and warmth but then abruptly pulled away.

"No!" she said loudly and sternly and then spun on her heel and made her way to the door.

In a desperate attempt I grabbed her hand and pulled her back.

"Please, don't ignore or reject the bond" I begged.

"Really, well then maybe you should have taken your own advice all those years ago" she said then went to turn away.

"No, please" I begged.

"Get, your filthy, greedy, lying hands off of me or I swear I will not be held responsible for your injuries" she spat at me, each word laced with hate and venom.

I looked down ashamed at myself for my actions then just for luck as I knew she was not going to be forgiving me at all, I turned her round to face me slowly, tilted her face up and quickly and softly pressed my lips to hers.

And that is how my one last desperate kiss had me in the pack doctor's office with a black eye, broken nose and bruised arms and legs.