Lena's Proposal

Loosely inspired by an episode of Modern Family

"What was that?"
"I think we have a flat tire."
The car pulled to a stop on the side of the road. Lena turned to Kara.
"Are you sure?" She asked.
Kara nodded. Lena leaned back against her seat and sighed. They had reservations to be at their favorite restaurant in thirty minutes. Everything had been planned to perfection. Now it very well may be ruined.
Lena was taking Kara to dinner, after that they would go take a walk along the National City waterfront, where Lena was planning on proposing to Kara. It had all been planned so perfectly, unitil that is, they got a flat tire and were stranded on the side of the road.
"Yeah, I'm sure it's fine though, you have a spare tire right?" Kara asked.
The realization that their evening was now stunted washed over Lena. She nodded sadly.
Kara turned to Lena and put her hand on her shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "Hey,  it's gonna be okay Lee, I'm just going to change the tire and we're going to keep driving, okay? We might still make our reservation on time," She said, hoping Lena would feel better.
She didn't understand why Lena looked so sad, sure she was very punctual and got stressed when she was running late, but she looked as if she might burst into tears at any given moment.
"Do you need any help?" Lena asked softly.
Kara smiled. "I've never changed a tire before, so yes."
They stepped outside of the car and Kara lifted Lena's spare tire out of the trunk. She was sure changing it couldn't be too complicated. It was nothing she couldn't handle, and worst case scenario, she would call Alex to come pick her and Lena up. She looked over at Lena, who was staring at the view below them. They were up at the top of a pretty high hill and the rest of National City could be seen below them.
"It's a whole nother world down there," Kara commented.
Lena snapped out of her daze and turned back to Kara, she nodded and smiled. Kara put the tire down, walked over to the car and knelt down besides the flat.
"Do you think I can just kinda pull this tire out?" Kara asked and looked up at Lena with a confused expression.
Lena laughed and shook her head. "I've never changed a tire before, but I don't think you can just pull it out."
Kara sighed. "Can you bring that tire over to me, or is it to heavy?" She asked.
Lena lifted the back of the tire so it was standing up and Kara went back to trying to figure out how she would get the old tire of the car. However, somehow Lena lost her grip on the tire, and it rolled out of her hands, off the road, and down the hill.
"No!" She yelled as the tire continued to roll, until it could no longer be seen.
Kara whipped her head around at the sound of her girlfriends sceam. Lena's hands were still in the place where they had once been holding onto the tire, and she was staring down the hill with her mouth gaping open. She turned to Kara in shock with wide eyes. Kara stood up and walked over to her quickly.
"Hey, do you want me to go get it?" Kara asked when she saw the panic in Lena's eyes.
Lena shook her head. "It's getting dark out, I don't want you to fly or do anything that might get you hurt, or seen."
Kara sighed, she had explained to Lena on numerous occasions that she couldn't get hurt, flying or otherways. But Lena was clearly stressed out, and Kara didn't want to push it.
"Do you think it hit someone's house?" Lena asked and rested her head on Kara's shoulder.
"Maybe."
Lena grinned slightly and blushed. "That would really suck."
Kara nodded. "Yeah, you don't need to seem so happy about it," She said with a laugh.
Lena giggled and tried to stop smiling. "I'm sorry," She said, and burst out laughing.
She lifted her head looked at Kara who was now laughing too as Lena tried to contain herself.
"I'm sorry-- I just," Lena smiled and tilted her head as she got her laughter under control. "I had this whole big evening planned and..." she gestured to the hill.
Kara shook her head. "It's fine, we didn't get to have dinner together, but at least we got to spend the evening together," She said and smiled.
    Lena blushed again. "No, I know, but it's not that I just... I had this whole big thing planned and now it's ruined."
"What did you have planned?"
Lena sighed and shook her head. "I-- I was going to propose to you, I had this speech planned that I'd been practicing and I was going to ask you when we were walking on the waterfront, but it's all ruined now," She admitted, with a hint of embarrassment in her voice.
Kara blushed bright red and smiled even larger. "Well, what were you going to say?"
Lena grinned shyly.
"I was going to tell you that you were the first person who accepted me for who I am and didn't see me as just another Luthor. You are the only person I've ever felt safe with. I remember you promised me once, that you would always protect me, and you kept that promise. You've been the best girlfriend, best friend, and best person I could ever possibly ask you to be. You have been there for me through everything, and I can't thank you enough for that," Lena took ahold of Kara's hands and gave them a gentle squeeze.
"I was going to tell you that ever since the day I met you, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. When I'm around I feel warm and happy and when you leave I can't wait until I get to see you again. You were my first friend in National City, you were the only person that believed in me when you had every reason not to, you were there when I gave up on myself, even though you didn't have to be. You were the first person I ever truly loved, and you made me feel like I'm not alone, you made me realize that this life is worth living and that I can't be so quick to blame myself for things out of my control. You fought by my side no matter what and I can never repay you for that. Kara Zor-El, you are the strongest, most intelligent and most beautiful woman I've ever met. You are kind, caring and incredible in so many ways. You are the bravest person I've ever known and every day and I am truly inspired by how selfless and humble you are. I don't know how I got so lucky as to become your girlfriend, but I'm so grateful that everyday I get to wake up to your face, you are the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I love you so, so much," Lena and Kara both had tears in their eyes, and neither one could stop smiling.
Lena took a deep breath.
"And then I was going to get down on one knee," she said softly as she knelt down. Tears began falling freely from Kara's eyes as she watched, unable to believe what was happening.
"And I was going to take out my ring," Lena pulled out a small black velvet box from her pocket and opened it up, revealing the most beautiful diamond ring Kara had ever seen.
"And I would ask, Kara Zor-El Danvers, would you make me the happiest woman alive, and do me the honor of being my wife," Lena asked hopefully.
"Yes, a thousand times yes." Kara exclaimed and Lena slid the ring onto her finger.
Lena stood up and Kara embraced her in a tight hug. She lifted her up off the ground and Lena kissed Kara gently.
"I love you," She whispered.
Kara smiled even brighter.
"I love you so much," Kara whispered and kissed her passionately.
If a year ago, someone had told Lena that she would be engaged to the love of her life and happier then she'd ever been, she would've said they were crazy. But here she was, the happiest she'd ever been, because she had found her person, she had found Kara. And now they were going to get married.