2- maddie

It’s like i’ve become brainwashed or something. Everyone wants to be popular. Everyone wants to be worshipped by their entire school. But it’s not really all that when it happens, because you don’t feel like yourself. Going around and seeing everyone run because they’re afraid of you really isn’t the best feeling.

    I’m Maddison Gray. You don’t care. I’m 16 and i’m English. I was born in London, England on 14 September, 1992. I’ve been *ahem* “friends” with Elle Chamberlain  since year 8. I was 12 or 13. I thought it was what I wanted. It wasn’t.

    Eden, my emo twin (we’re identical), says school is awful for her. But it’s pretty good for me, I mean I don’t get bullied, but I do get slut shamed! Yay for me! We can still find a way to look good in the uniforms, especially Eden who always looks bomb as fuck. Like, outside of school, it’s like, really hard for me to wear clothes that actually cover me up though.

    The only friend I have that isn’t popular is Brayden. He’s the big brother of Eden’s  friend, Jade. If the girls knew I’m friends with a nerd, they’d cut me off.

    Eden’s talented. Very talented. You’d think she’s 50 if you could hear her sing. She’s a badass and a smartass. She’s like, over it. She’s also very dry and sarcastic, and opposite from me in all the right ways. I thank God for her.

    So, about the “Mads the Skank” rumour. I’m not a slut, ok?!? OK?!? The clothes I wear do not define me as a person. I’m really nice! I will admit though, makeup makes me look like a completely different person. Not that i’m- okay, you don’t care, i’m just rambling on mate, ignore me.

    Since you know about me, let’s talk about how i didn’t make the cheer squad. The coach said i’m too “ditzy.” Me? Ditzy? Ok. Basic? Fine. But not ditzy, like, what?

    It all started when me and the girls, Elle and Jillian, were walkin’ to period 3 and the list of people who made it on was hung up on the wall.

    “Ooh, looks like Maddie didn’t make it,” Elle sighed. “Sorry.” You could tell she didn’t care, and of course I had to act like I didn’t either.

    “Welp. It’s fine, I guess, I could do other stuff.” I laughed nervously.

    “I really thought you’d make it, Messy Mads,” Poppy frowned, calling me by the nickname I earned after the whole “slept with the whole football” team rumour, even though i’m still a virgin. “Sucks.”

    “Well, y’know I ain’t that surprised,” I smiled. “I mean, i’m not even that flexible.”

    “Glad you know,” Elle laughed. “Joking.”

    A couple seconds later the 3rd period bell rang and we had to run before they marked us as late. When we walked in out of breath, all heads turned our way, including Eden’s, who just shook her head and continued sucking on her lollipop.

    Miss Rice did the same, and said, “Have a seat ladies, Jesus H Christ,” she sat down clearly irritated.

    I took my seat next to Eden.

    “Late again, mm mm mm,” she nodded.

    I tossed the piece of caramel I had gotten in the previous period in my mouth and said, “Shut up, Eden.”

    “Girls, no time for chit chat, I hate to be dry, turn to page 102 in your workbooks.” I did as she told me.

    Eventually there was a knock on the front door. Miss Rice got up to open the door and Asher Schlink casually invited himself in 20 minutes later than me and the girls, and took a seat right next to Elle, who was obviously freaking out inside.

    “Your 3rd tardy in the first month of school? Really? Detention!” She shouted, causing the class to jump.

    “Um, I don’t really understand the problem we’re workin on?” Massara Fox asked, her hand raised.

    Once again irritated, she walked over to Mass.

“For Goodness sakes, guys, don’t raise your hand and talk at the same time, God!” She slapped the top of her head.

    Giving 0 fucks, Eden takes the lolli out her mouth and says, “I have an announcement to make,” she said, standing up.

    “Oh. My. GOD, Gray, honestly, just take your dear old flippin time,” Miss Reid screeched. That woman is honestly miserable. “Just go, just take up the whole class period, Eden, jeez, I get zero respect from you fuckers!” The class snickered, surprised Miss Reid had the audacity to call us all “fuckers,” no matter how true we knew it was.

    “If none of you guys wanna be hee why don’t you just… leave. I would do it. What? You’re scared? Watch this.” Eden said, surprisingly calm.

    Eden started grabbing her books.

    Out of nowhere, Dedrick Rye, Elle’s boyfriend, yells, “Why the heck would we do that? You’re just an idiot with no respect for anyone!”

    “Exactly my point, Rye.”
    Asher looked up at her and smiled. Eden has kind of a love/hate relationship with everyone, because she has no filter whatsoever, meaning she tells people exactly what she thinks of them, and won’t even care. She’s a toughie, and people adore her for that. She’s fresh and frank.

    Edden smiled, like she was plotting something really bad.

    All of sudden people got serious. “Fuck. this. Shit.” She laughed, walking out the class like she owned the place. And no one even bothered to chase her, they were so amazed by it.

    I had to get up and chase her. It took awhile for me to actually catch her, because nobody knew where she actually ran off to. It turns out she hid out in the girls’ toilets.

    “What the hell, E?” I asked, confused as to what she was thinking at that moment.

    “Go back to class, Mads,” she scratched her scalp. “I just need a break.”

    “You can’t just run off like that, mate,” I said, leaning against the wall. “You can get in serious trouble.” I sighed.

    “I know Maddie. Just leave,” she was irritated now. “I’m doing just fine. I’m miserable there. I’ve had a lot on my mind, and you’re right, I couldn’t just leave. I had to have a motive, even though mine was shitty.”

    But I could tell something was wrong. “Why are you even in here? And don’t you say no reason.” I pointed at her.

    “Listen, Maddison. I have feelings for someone I shouldn’t have feelings for.” She frowned.

    Hoping it wasn’t the person I thought, I said, “Who?”

    “Asher Schlink.” She smiled.

    Smiling. She was smiling, like this is some type of miracle or something. “Eden, Asher? You’re shitting me.” I stood up straight and crossed my arms. How could she like Asher?

    “No, and I think he likes me too. Look, we’re hanging out tonight. Whatever happens, happens.”

She grabbed her bag and we started make our way back to class.

    “Fine. I’m coming with you guys!” I crossed my arms. Eden stopped and rolled her eyes.

    “I mean, are you sure..? It’s gonna be me, Jo, and Jade. People you’re not very close with with.” She continued walking.

    “I don’t care! I’m coming!”

    “God, fine. Bufi, at 4:15. If you’re not ready, we’re leaving without you.”

    “I can definitely be ready by then.”

4:00

    When 4 rolled around, I was ready. Makeup done and everything. I just needed to find my earphones.

    “Maddie, Jade’s mum is here.”

    As we all piled into the car, which was quite butters if i’m honest, I saw Eden try and hide her guitar case between  her and Jo. I knew this was gonna be good.