Chapter 1

She began her day like any other almost forgetting her coffee on the way out the tiny one bedroom place she had finally made her own. It had only been a year since she moved in. She had a feeling that today would be different, she couldn't place the sense of dread she had in the pit of her stomach as she pulled into the parking lot of the base and her building that was surrounded by other much larger warehouses. The only civilian to work in this section of the base she got out of her truck and grabbed her backpack from the bed and slung it over her shoulder. Something was defiantly off about the day, maybe it was going to storm later, but she felt it was something else altogether.

"Johnson, we have a meeting in the hall in ten.", One of her co-workers said as she passed the turnstile and entered the courtyard before their building. She knew it was what she had felt. Something was happening. Something big. She hated the unknown and what it held.

"Great.", She stated and headed to her office on the third floor. She opened the door to find her supervisor and the building Commander there waiting on her. "Wonderful.", She muttered under her breath. Everything she had thought flew out the window as she made her way to her desk throwing her pack in the corner. "What's going on?", she finally asked as she sat.

"We are moving.", the commander stated.

"To a new building?", she asked wondering how much of a headache that would be.

"To a new base.", her supervisor replied.

"What?", She exclaimed. She usually knew everything that was in the works but had not heard of this at all. Even if it was a whisper, she often had a heads up on this like this.

"The brass had an idea, and it makes sense in a way. They got the funding, and we will be part of the teat unit.", her supervisor stated.

"What idea?", she asked.

"To have one of each of the specialized teams located together on a base. If the idea pans out, it will change how teams are located.", Her supervisor answered. The commander was also nodding his head. He didn't look all too pleased with the idea, but as she processed the words, she could see the merit in the thought. The idea that sometimes a team had to wait for the right back up from another team cost to many minutes and sometimes lives. If all the teams were located together, they could roll out together. She could see it. It could work.

"Why are you telling me about it?", she asked knowing there must be a catch somehow.

"It relies on you, right now. You are the only one like you, and you are a lynchpin of this team. We need to make sure you will be coming as well.", the commander stated rather mutely.

"So I have to go if they think it will work.", She stated. She would never just leave the team though she was not mandated by the same rules as them she wouldn't just leave them.

"In a word, Yes.", her supervisor said.

"So what will they give me to entice me to move, yet again?", she asked.

"Probably whatever you wish.", the commander said.

"I'll think about that then. Now I think you should go and tell the others. I only have one question though. When?", she asked.

"Within two months.", the commander said as he stood.

"Two months. Fine I guess.", she humphed to herself as she thought she had jumped the gun in unpacking those last few boxes and finally claiming the small apartment.

"Make your list of things you want, and I'll submit it to the brass and see what shakes out of it.", Her boss said knowing she would ask for stupid things just to see if they would do it she sat back and thought of this upcoming adventure. It would be that and after her team was told of this things would get loud and then hectic for the time being. It would be fun to see what they will give her in the long run.