8: Freddie

Justice kicked at the rocks on the ground as she waited for her father outside. Arms crossed over he chest, she peered up at the small church building, at the cross that marked the center of the arch. It has been quite some time since Justice has been in a place like this. She was an avid church goer before she attended Lakehurst and then began hanging around Johnny's Gang. She hadn't been in touch with her spiritual side since then. Having almost turned her back to it, which had only led her down the wrong path. Before then she was stuck in her books, smart, polite, punctual and obedient to her parents.

After suffering from bullying in the 8th grade, she decided to change her life when she got to high school. She became the bully and worked hard over the summer to become stronger so that she could fight back against her bullies. Unfortunately, the ones who bullied her transferred to private schools after middle school. Their parents attempt at changing their kids' behaviors.

However, that hadn't stopped Justice from carrying out her revenge.

She watched as people began to pour out of the double doors. Justice had come out shortly after service to wait for her father as he mingled with a few people. She hated standing around awkwardly with people she didn't know. She stared at the doors, waiting and hoping her father would soon come out, and when he finally appeared, she dropped her arms.

He smiled at her apologetically as their eyes met, "Didn't mean to make you wait." He said, opening her door for her before walking around to the driver's side. "How did you like service?" he asked as he drove out of the parking lot.

"It was fine."

He glanced at her. "I can imagine it was a little weird for you, huh? Since you haven't been in a few years."

"Not really." She said, staring at the trees.

Silence.

"So," her father began, "You wanna grab something to eat before heading home, or what?"

"I don't care."

There was an awkward silence for Mr. A. Then he had an idea. "How about we go to that famous dot place the kids hang out at." He suggested.

"It's called the dot, dad." She corrected. "And no, I don't want to see anyone from my school today."

Mr. A sighed. "Are you upset because I brought you to church today?"

"No." she said simply.

"Why are you upset?"

"I'm not."

"You're being cold." He said. "Is there something you want to talk about?"

Justice sat silently for a second before releasing a barely audible, "No."

There was silence from that moment on. Mr. A knew there was something on her mind that was bothering her and as much as it bothered him, he knew her better than to pressure her into telling him. He wondered if it was because of the talk with Johnny. He had assumed it had gone well but maybe there was something more to it. Maybe he shouldn't have butted in and allowed her to speak with Johnny alone when she was ready. But he was afraid she never would tell him or he would somehow have found out on his own. Mr. A just wanted everything out in the open. That was part of the reason he had brought Justice back. Besides, he had watched his daughter go through pregnancy and being a young mother alone and it really ticked him off to watch her day in and day out exhausted, doing her motherly duties, losing sleep, barely eating, and not being able to enjoy her teen years like she should. Johnny needed to know, and he needed to step up and be a father. But how could he if he was still in the dark about being a father.