(18)

It's been a week and Eddie talks a little more than he used to. He doesn't keep up a conversation or start one but if he's asked a question he'll answer. That's what's going on right now. Bev and Stan are over and Eddie's just listening.

"So, Eddie, we all were thinking of going to the quarry. Will you come?" Bev asks.

"Um...maybe" Eddie says.

"Richie, get your boyfriend to come" she orders.

"Will you please try to come?" I ask.

"I'll try but no promises" he says.

"There. Best I can do, you gotta give the boy some time"

"I am! I won't make him come if he's not feeling up to it"

"Has anyone heard about what's happening to Sonia?" Stan asks.

"No" I say.

"Yeah" Eddie says.

"You have? Why didn't you tell me?" I ask. He just shrugs.

"What's happening?" Stan asks.

"I'm supposed to go back to her house Sunday" Eddie answers.

"You're not going back there" I say.

"I have to, Richie"

"No. She sent you to conversion therapy, Eds. What is she gonna do when she figures out that it didn't work?"

"It's not my choice"

"Make it your choice"

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"Stay here"

"And wait for her to call the cops on your parents for kidnapping?"

"If that happens we'll deal with it. I'm not letting you go back there"

".....what if I wanted to go back?"

"What?"

"She's my mom, Rich"

"She's a psychotic bitch, Eddie"

"She was trying to do what she thought was best for me"

"How is that what's best for you? You can't seriously want to go back. She sent you to con-"

"I know! You don't have to remind me every 5 minutes!" he says almost yelling. That's the first time he's raised his voice since he got back. Not gonna lie, it kinda startled me. We all sit in silence for a minute until Eddie gets up and walks toward the doorway.

"Eds-"

"I'm gonna go take a nap" he says quietly and goes upstairs. I rest my head on my hand and sigh.

"Should you go talk to him?" Bev asks.

"I'll talk to him later. He didn't sleep well last night" I say.
~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~
I open the door to my room and see Eddie sitting on the bed, he looks up with teary eyes

"Hey" I say. He looks up but doesn't say anything. I walk over and sit beside him on the bed

"I'm sorry" I tell him "I didn't mean to get you mad. I just...I love you so much and I never want to see you hurt ever again"

"I love you too" he kisses my lips "but I need to go back to my mom"

"Why!"

"She cares about me, I promise"

"No, Eddie, she doesn't. She sent you to fucking conversion therapy!" I throw my hands up in frustration

"Richie!" Eddie yells. I go quiet and look at him "Stop bringing up the damn conversion therapy! I don't want to fucking talk about it!"

"Eddie.."

"I think we should take a break..."

"No...wait..."

"I just...I need some time" he sits back down

"Okay...Uhm are you still going to stay here?" I ask

"No. I've already text Ben and I can stay with him"

"Oh. Uhm. Okay, whatever you want..." I say softly

"I'm sorry"

"Don't be. You need some time, I'm happy to give it to you" I smile "well not happy, but I'll survive"

"What's the point of surviving if you don't live" he says quietly and walks out of the room. Leaving me sitting alone on the bed.

"Fuck!" I yell and pick up a picture of me and Eddie. We look so happy. I stand there and look at it for a minute then throw it at the wall, watching it shatter into millions of pieces.