Prologue - The Arrival of Despair

Darkness. Darkness is interesting, is it not? It's mysterious, frightening, despair-enducing. When you stand in darkness, your instinct simply tells you to get out. Not how, not why, just simply do it. So that's exactly what I did. I shakily stepped forward, towards the decripit wooden door that I could barely make out with the remaining light I had. My hand caressed the handle, feeling it's curves and contours before applying pressure and opening the door. Sure enough, what lied behind it was even more despair-enducing than what I stood in before. In front of me stood fifteen other students, staring at me, analysing me. I stepped into the classroom, all that could escape my mouth was a meek "H-Hello..." before the other students came rushing up to me.

"Another one? How many of us are there?" One of the boys mumbled under his breath.

"Don't be so rude, he's as lost as we are!" One of the girls yelled as she slapped the other boy across the cheek.

"Tch, don't tell me what to do..." He fired back, rubbing his new found injury.

The classroom seemed like any other: desks, a chalkboard, chairs. However, there was one huge thing that stood out to me as soon as I had entered the room, and that was the giant metal plates covering what seemed to be the windows. This was no regular classroom, hell, this was no regular room at all.

"What's your name?" Another student yelled towards me, bursting my eardrums in the process.

"Umm..." I stuttered. I couldn't believe it. Could I not remember my name? "I... I don't remember..."

"Don't worry!" A different girl screamed. "We can't remember our names either!" I took a sigh of relief, knowing that I wasn't the only one. But still, what was going on? Why are we here? Why can't we remember anything?

"Umm, excuse me, but..." I whimpered meekly. "Why are we here?"

"I'm sooooooo glad you asked!" A voice echoed throughout the room. No one seemed to recognise it, so I knew something was wrong. It seemed high-pitched, almost childlike in nature, not a typical high school voice, hell, not even a typical human voice. Before anyone else had a chance to speak, we could feel a rumble from the ceiling.

"E-Earthquake!" Someone yelled, but we could tell that this was no earthquake. The roof above had fallen open, and something had fallen with it.

"It's a... It's a..."

"Stuffed bear?" The students werre taken aback, including me. This day just continued to get stranger, as if we were only dreaming.

"S-Stuffed bear? Why, I am offended!" The bear screeched. Wait... The bear can speak?!

"AAAAA! It can talk!" One girl screamed, hiding behind one of the tables in the classroom.

"Of course I can talk! How else could I be your principal?" He replied, calmer this time.

"Principal? You?" Another student queried, seemingly questioning her sanity at this point.

"Yep! My name is Monokuma! Welcome to Hope's Peak High School!" The bear bounced around on the desk. Hope's Peak? I don't remember enrolling here, and even if I did, would I really be accepted? Hope's Peak only accepts students that are the best of the best in what they do, but I can't remember anything about me... Let alone my name.

"Great... Can leave now?" One boy stated sarcastically, sniggering at his own joke.

"Oh? You want to leave?" The bear began, crossing his arms. "Well, there's only one way to leave this school..."

"And that is?" The boy snapped, seemingly frustrated already.

"Kill one of your fellow classmates!" The bear giggled, dancing on the desk now, his arms flailing in the air.