Chapter Twenty: Memories Of Our Past

•Dupain-Cheng Residence: 6:35 PM•

The only sound that could be heard was the thudding of Marinette's heartbeat. Adrien's arms were around her, keeping her from falling.

"A-Adrien..." She stuttered.

The blonde's eyes never left her. "Are you ok, Mari??" He held her hands, pulling her fully to her feet, then looked around her to check for any bruises or scratches.

"I'm fine you goofball." Marinette giggled while playfully smacking him in the chest.

Adrien raised his brow in response. The look in those green eyes told Marinette that he was completely serious.

"Are you sure you're ok?" He sighed, arms now crossed.

She nodded, "Mhmm."

Adrien's gaze moved behind her. "Well," he said, picking up Marinette's satchel and handing it to her. "You're purse doesn't seem like it's ok." He casted her a dopey grin.

Marinette couldn't help but laugh. Adrien... you always know how to make me laugh. Even when I'm distressed.

Adrien chuckled, hands now in his pockets. "So, where are you off to this afternoon?"

"No where really," she said while wrapping the satchel over her shoulder. Sorry about that Tikki...

"Well..." Adrien came to a pause before speaking. "Neither was I." Another pause. "Would you like to walk together or..."

Marinette watched as Adrien's eyes moved back to the paved concrete ground. She smiled softly as she noticed the faint pink color on his cheeks. Adrien was always a bit shy whenever it came to asking for things.

But what really surprised Marinette was that he. Was. Blushing!!!

Just to keep the sweet moment for the sake of the fandom -because at this point they really needed it - she took his hand.

Adrien looked back up to her as she smiled. "I'd love to." Almost immediate, another charmed smile formed. A smile that Marinette loved to see on her best friend's face.

An idea slowly came to Adrien's mind. "Hey..."

Marinette looked at him.

"Why don't we take a nice walk along the beach? Just like old times?"

Marinette's heart stopped, but the smile never did. "Just like old times." She nodded.

•Bassin De La Villette: 6:50 PM•

It may have taken them a bit, but Marinette and Adrien finally made it to the beach.

The entire time they walked, they began to reminisce each encounter they've had together as kids.

"Do you remember the times we played hide and seek?" Adrien asked Marinette. "Your parents always played with us just to make the game more fun."

The tone of his voice made Marinette frown a little. She knew that Adrien's father wasn't as involved as her parents were. She remembered his mother, Emilie, who was the sweetest woman Marinette had ever met.

But the past brought her to realizing that she hadn't yet seen Adrien's mother. Where was she? Marinette wanted to ask, but family was certainly a sensitive subject.

Instantly, realization smacked Marinette directly in the face. Was Emilie the reason why Adrien had to move away?

The real question was why? Why did it force them to move? Where was she now? If they planned on moving back, why move at all? Why put Marinette through so much pain?

She brushed the thoughts away. That was Adrien's business, not hers. But as his best friend, Marinette only wanted to know the truth, just so she could be there for him. It had been years since she's seen him. Even hung out with him just like this moment for that matter.

So she laughed, deciding to change the subject with a nod. "Oh yeah! Of course I do! What about Mama and Papa taking us to those amusement parks?"

Adrien rolled his eyes with a groan, "Ok. That was one time! I was a kid! That's the only reason why I loved riding the merry go round!"

"Uh huh," Marinette muttered teasingly. "We both know that you're a kid at heart."

"No, we're both kids at heart." He winked, hitting his chest with a fist. She giggled from the action.

The two teenagers began walking down the sandy shoreline close to the calmingly, soothing waves. The ambiance was a definite stress reliever. Just what Marinette needed.

She took a glance at her best friend. Goodness gracious.

The sun's rays hit him just right, making his golden hair practically glowing bright yellow. He looked like an angel that fell straight from heaven.

She felt frozen. All she wanted to do was stare at Adrien in admiration. Nothing else mattered to her. Not even Luka - her own boyfriend - mattered at this point.

She wanted him. She made her choice. It was Adrien. Heck, it was always going to be Adrien. Who was she kidding? He was irresistible! What girl in her right mind ever thought about rejecting him?

He was a model! A hot one at that!

That thought put Marinette down. She quickly averted her gaze. He was a model, as she a baker's daughter. Their lives were opposite. They were friends, nothing more.

"Mari?" Adrien's voice brought her back.

She turned. And Marinette wished she didn't. Because the look in his green irises drew her in. She wanted to feel numb in the lips, to taste his again as she did that one night in the alleyway.

So she did the unexpected. If she could see herself, she would've thought she had gone insane.

So Marinette got to her tiptoes, due to their height difference, and pressed her lips to his.

Marinette Dupain-Cheng actually had the courage to kiss her childhood best friend and crush, Adrien Agreste.