Chapter Twelve

I groan as my alarm shrills in my ear, announcing the arrival of a new week.  I reach out a hand and swat blindly at the blaring noise, eventually making contact with the nightstand.  My hand smarts from the sting of flesh on wood, and I reluctantly open my eyes and sit up. I reach over and swipe the alarm from my phone screen, silencing the awful noise. I reach back to my hand, and lean my head back against the headboard.  Why are Mondays always so horrible?

After a moment, I get out of bed. Part of me wishes I was back in Misha's bed, eating microwave waffles and snuggling into his shoulder.  The rational part of me knows that if I was doing that, I wouldn't make it to any of my classes today.

I drag myself into the kitchen and set up the coffee pot.  When it begins percolating, I grab a banana and hoist myself onto a barstool, powering up my laptop. I glance at the time, noting I still have ten minutes before I have to jump in the shower. My email is still pulling up - curse my slow internet - so I take the opportunity to pour a cup of coffee, adding ample creamer.  I stir the hot liquid aimlessly, watching the emails slowly filter in. One email from a classmate, setting up a study group. Two emails from the campus activity board, trying to wrangle volunteers for a Christmas caroling event and reminding everybody of the winter break activities available for students who stay on campus. There's an email from my professor, and I open it while sipping on my coffee.  

Students,
Our ten o'clock meeting for History of Graphic Design this morning will be cancelled.  I have contracted the flu and will not be hosting any classes for the remainder of the week. Please see the assignments (attached) and ensure that you are properly prepared for class next week.
Thanks,
Professor Paul Phillips

I smile into my coffee mug, relieved at the extra time that's been added to my morning. I slip off the stool and make myself a bowl of cereal, adding probably too much Cap'n Crunch to the bowl.  I have a real problem.

I return to my seat at the counter top, and finish checking my emails.  After that, I check Facebook, smiling when I see a funny meme that Misha shared last night.  I continue scrolling through social media as I devour my breakfast. After a while, I get up and shower, then throw on my favorite distressed skinny jeans and a hoodie featuring our college mascot. I twist my hair into a braided side ponytail and slip on my converse.  Since I have the time, I add some eyeliner and mascara, then head back to the kitchen.

Before I power down my laptop, I notice one more email, this time from my 11:30 class professor. I check my phone - class doesn't start for 30 more minutes.  I open the email and skim through the contents.

Hey guys, car broke down, waiting for a tow.  Not making it to class today. Read chapter 37 and take notes - will discuss on Wednesday.  Stay warm out there!
-Prof Ambrosia Keeting

What are the odds of two classes being cancelled?  It looks like Monday is starting to turn around, after all.  I power down the laptop and grab my bag, fishing the keys from the bottom.  There's no reason to be ready to go with no place to go, so I decide to get an early lunch before work.  I run out to my car, bracing myself against the cold.