Chapter Eighteen

I push through the double doors, struggling to sneak a glance at my phone while simultaneously tucking it into my clutch. The clasp on this thing is just so hard to open. I peek at the time - still about ten minutes until the ceremony starts - before looking up. Wow. The Maywood Country Club is definitely reserved for the most elite events. Tall ceilings supported by cherry wood beams draw attention upward, while gleaming hardwood floors steal one's gaze back down to the great expanse of the room. Creamy white lounge chairs sit grouped periodically around the edges of the room, leaving the center wide open, just like my mouth.

I snap my jaw shut. I refuse to actually look like an uncultured child the way I'm sure this building is designed to make me feel. Most everybody has dispersed at this point, leaving only a few stragglers like myself to find the ceremony on their own. So much for ushers.

On my right is a large set of double doors, stately and intimidating. I glance around, not noticing anywhere else a wedding ceremony might be. I push in slowly through one of the doors, praying my heart out that I'm not about to be the center of attention in a room full of people. I step inside, and -

Holy Pinterest.

I've found the ballroom. More specifically, I've found the completely decorated, incredibly overwhelming ballroom where I'm sure the reception will be held. This time, I let my mouth hang open. This is more than I had expected, even from Emily, who knows no end to drama and flair.

I look up and all I see are twinkling fairy lights. They are strung from every inch of crown moulding, meeting in the center of the room around a glittering bronze and crystal chandelier. As I walk further into the room, I'm blown away by the detail incorporated into everything. Each table is encompassed by six black chiavari chairs, and covered with a silky black cloth. The centerpieces are breathtaking: two foot tall gold candlestick vases adorned with white cascading orchids, ivory roses, and willow eucalyptus. Crystal beads drip from the bottom edges of the arrangements, adding to the extravagance. Small marbled tea lights adorn the space around the flower arrangements, as well as scattered ivory rose petals. Propped between the candles are table numbers with calligraphy writing underneath the large numerals. I walk between the tables, reading each one.

Resolution 4. Be happy with what you have while working toward what you want.

Resolution 11. Find the opportunities hidden in each new day.

Resolution 7. Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

I stifle a laugh. These are probably the cheesiest resolutions that anybody could have ever come up with, and to assign resolutions as table numbers is so whimsical, it's almost silly. I drop my hand from my lips and let out a real chuckle when I see the bridal party table near the front wall. Between the tall cathedral-style windows hangs a banner, calligraphy words strung by their glittering, golden letters. 'Love like there is no midnight.' You have got to be kidding me. I'm full on laughing now, mostly at the ridiculous choice in decorations but somewhat at the absurdity of the whole thing.

"Is there something amusing about the decor?"

I quickly turn toward the voice addressing me coldly, and find Angela Walker staring me down. I groan internally, and plaster on my best fake smile.

"Mrs. Walker, it's nice to see you again."

"What do you think you're doing in the reception hall, Alexandria? Better yet, what do you think you're doing at my son's wedding? I had no clue he would be inclined to invite you. If I had thought such a mistake could be made, I would have checked over the guest list once more."

"Well, Mrs. Walker," I begin, but I'm cut off quickly as she begins to monologue.

"Lexi," she begins, spitting my name out like a cheap wine, "Do you even understand the magnitude of the damage you have caused to my son? Dakota could have done so much better than you, yet you chose to continue stringing him along, knowing that he meant absolutely nothing to you all the while. I told him, day after day, that I could find a nice girl, from an established family, that he would be just as happy with; but of course, he had to chase after the most unfortunate , homely child on his whole campus. What is even more absurd is that he seemed to truly be in love with you. Why, Raymond and I did our best to discourage him. We knew that a union with a girl like you would tarnish his honorable reputation, not to mention the family name. When he finally started courting Emily, we were so thankful that he was able to put you far behind him, where you belong."