Criminal

[Loretta's POV]

The sirens in the distance should have been clear warning, but at the time I remember that I wasn't concerned. Unlike Ricky I had no invested interest or concern in this exercise. I was merely the facilitator, and now spectator, of the crime.

Not a bad crime, as far as crimes go. It was the run down branch of a chain store near my area.

A fairly well known chain that sat high on the stock market. I knew this from listening occasionally in Economics, and because my father had mentioned it once over dinner. He had shares in it, not many, but some.

Therefore, as I watched Ricky and his boys methodically empty the store of televisions, game consoles, and other profitable appliances, I was not concerned, because I knew this crime wasn't hurting anyone. I was numb to it all.

Sally sat beside me on the counter top and watched. It was clear how nervous she was, straight back, even straighter lip line, fingers wrapped over the edge of the counter gripping unnecessarily tight. She had good reason to worry, she was the weakest link, employed by the company and possessing the knowledge to turn off the alarm system. She was also Ricky's girlfriend. Dancing on thin ice, as they say, was an understatement.

She was chewing her nails now.

I didn't care about stolen televisions or Ricky's promised payment. My moment of excitement was spent once the lock had given way to my pick and tension wrench. I was only staying to watch out of morbid curiosity, and the knowledge that there was money in it if I hung around. I would run fast and quick and alone if I needed to.

And I had.

Only, I didn't expect Ricky to rat me out when he got caught, because I wasn't important. I had not taken anything or earned anything.

But still, my name went down on the police statement. When they took me in, with my mother watching like all her misery in life was my fault, and my youth rep with her straight eyebrows, sitting beside me at all times, I'll admit I was just a little bit indignant.

All I did was open a door, after all.

Now they've left me alone, and I am sitting in this room with no windows. I know there must be someone on the other side of the glass window. I don't mind if they are watching me. I'll be honest, and I'll tell them the truth about what I did and how I feel.

But right now, in this very moment, I have a twisting feeling in the pit of my stomach that I cannot shake, and I think you could call it fear.