nine

«Hello?» I say, after some silence. «Hi» she says, almost whispering. «Do you want to tell me what happened?» I ask gently and she sighs. «My boyfriend discovered something about my past, about the old me and he totally freaked out. He started thinking I'm just a loser, that I'm pathetic, a baby and a stupid depressed girl and the voices started travelling between my friends and they chose to believe them instead of me. This really made me again the girl I was some years ago» she says. «Who were you?» I ask her, missing that part in what I knew about her. «Being me wasn't easy, I had a lot of problems with family and "friends" but not so many people knew it so I just thought I could kept it secret but I was wrong. I worked really hard on myself to make me became the person now I am, I mean, I was, and now I know it was just a waste of time. Truth is, nobody likes the true me, they just wanted to be friend of my false and empty version» she replies. «You're wrong, I always liked you. We were together in the middle school and one day you helped me with some things that were bothering me and from that time, I just didn't put my eyes off you. You're such an amazing girl and I always thought you were too much for me, especially when we started the high school» I admit. «You're so sweet... I just don't remember you, I'm really sorry» she says and I smile sadly, even if she couldn't see me. «I knew it, I wasn't enough for you then to make you remember me so forget me again, that's better» I say, before hanging up. It hurts as hell that she erased me from her memory but maybe I should do the same.