Five

The next day, Blazen had to work for a few hours so I stayed at the tent. He promised to bring me food, and I felt guilty living off a homeless person and being so helpless but I didn't have a choice.

  He'd let me have a bath at the public bathroom and I'd brushed my teeth with a toothpaste using my fingers. It was kind of adventurous as if I was a rebellious girl who'd eloped with a boy who lived under the bridge.

As promised, he brought sandwiches for lunch. I told him about school and my friends, things like that.

If I could at least give him some money for everything that he'd done for me. Afternoon turned to evening and the tears started spilling out of my eyes without me realizing that I was crying.

  I was broke and I needed to catch my next flight. A cute little pink piggybank came into my vision. Blazen picked it up, opened the bottom lid and it flooded down with coins and notes. I knew what he was doing.

"I can't take your money, Blazen."

  "Why? Because I'm a homeless guy? You think I can't afford a bus ticket?" He questioned. "Would you rather live your life with me under the bridge because you won't let me pay?"

When I didn't offer an answer, he continued, "Think of this as a loan, Penny. You can pay me back later."

"Thanks."

He bought me a bus ticket and even dropped me at the station. I couldn't even step into the bus without feeling a sense of despair spread through me.

  "It was nice knowing you." He said softly.

  "I...I will miss you." I said and took his hand in mine. A tear dropped on his knuckles because I couldn't bring myself to look into his beautiful silver eyes and say goodbye. "Do you have a pen?"

  He gave me a pen. I uncapped it and wrote my number on his hand. He chuckled. "How very romantic."

  "I know you said you don't have a cellphone, but I do. Please stay in touch with me, Blazen. You can call me through the public phone or something."

  He gave a nod and then he glanced at his watch. "It's time for you to go."

  I stepped inside the bus and watched him. I walked the bus isle and found a seat near a lady. I could still see the blob of blond hair standing outside the window, having the same anguished look on his face.

  The crazy person that I was, I ran out of the bus in a hysteria and hugged him fiercely with a crowd of people watching us. "I just remembered something. I didn't ask you if you have a girlfriend."

He laughed. "You ran out of the bus to ask me that?"

  I nodded.

   "Silly girl." He laughed. "I don't have a girlfriend." He said, and caressed my cheek with the back of his fingers, and tucked a lock of dark hair behind my ear which brought goosebumps all over my body. "Well, homeless boys are not exactly boyfriend material, I believe."

"Will you forget me?" I asked.

"I promise I won't." He said. "Can I ask you something, too?"

"What is that?"

"Penny will you..." he began. "Will you wait for me?"

I couldn't believe he was asking me to wait for him. He continued. "I know I'm not really in a position right now to be in any type of relationship, but I like you a lot, Penny and I want to get to know you better in future."

I smiled. "Call me or I'll get on the wrong plane again just to see you."

We laughed and he messed my hair. "Silly girl. You need to go now."

"Bye." I said, and before walking towards the bus, I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek.

Even though I'd gotten on the wrong plane, and gotten myself in the worst situation, I'd still managed to get back to my friends and enjoy the rest of my trip.

  *~*~*

EDIT 01/11/18: this story won the third place in the summer adventures 2018 contest. The story has been left at an open ending.

Story Word count : 2,975

Heya lovelies, Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts on the story.

Stay Blessed!