Fireflies & Fairies

"Do you somehow remember, how we gazed up at the atmosphere? And how we watched the sunset go and fade away? As I walk to the future, I'll still keep the promises that I made. From all those endless summer days."
-Lie (FullMetal Alchemist)

It was nearing summer, the ending of spring. I could always tell because of the lights that magically lit up every yard, the beautiful fairies dancing gracefully and showing off their beauty. I loved to find the first fairy of summer, I believed it meant good luck and a good summer is yours ahead. And I always believed that was true because every summer seemed wonderful to me.

You'd be outside in the little "jar house" as I called it, punching very small holes into the top of the lids on jars for us. When you did that I absolutely could not wait for the sun to set. I asked and asked, "Can we go outside yet?" or, "Is he done yet?" Eventually annoying Granny to death, but finally it was time.

You came inside and got us, I was basically jumping off the walls with excitement. I could not wait a second longer for them to come. You opened up a jar for me and we stood there, waiting for them to come. After a minute or two of waiting and looking and watching the sun set slowly, their beautiful light had started to glow. "There!", I screamed with joy and pointed. You went and caught the fairy in your jar and let me look at it. The first fairy of summer.

I smiled and my face lit up when I saw another in the yard. Then another, and another. There were to many fairies to count. I ran every which way to catch a fairy, and I finally did. My very own fairy. I quickly put it into the jar and shut it, looking at the fairy with aw. I envied its beautiful light, wishing I was a fairy too.

Eventually we all caught a nice amount of fairies, of course, I had the help of you and Granny. "It's time to let them go." you said. I pouted a little then thought about how the fairies probably had a family they needed to get back to, so then I became happy again and nodded. You opened up your jar and set it down, the fairies flew out, still aglow. Then you gently grabbed my jar, doing the same. I waved and smiled,"Goodbye fairies!" I hope their family wasn't to worried.

"The lightning bugs are pretty, aren't they?" you asked. I shook my head no,"They're not bugs! They're fairies!" You smiled and we watched the fairies be free as they went home to their family.

Every summer night we did this, it was great fun. Sometimes we even got Grizzly, the dog, to come play with the fairies with us. And every night I still found it magical.

Now when it nears summer, and the spring is ending, I look in the yards of everyone examining them for light. And when I spot a twinkle I think to myself,"There it is. The first fairy of summer." And still, it is very magical to me.