Chapter three

~DELE~

"The wrong name? Really Del?"

"Yeah? It was funny!" I retorted, smiling in remembrance. "You should have seen the look on her face."

"That's quite harsh tho," my best friend rolled his eyes at me. "You don't know why she doesn't like being called that."

"Nah, that's just how Dele flirts, Eric," Danny grinned, taking one hand off the wheel of the car to gesture towards me.

"Okay, Danny, no, and Eric, you're looking way too deeply at this. I was just messing around. She's literally hated me since the first time we met, and to be honest, the feeling's mutual."

"Okay then," Danny shrugged, eyeing me deliberately.

"What?" I groaned. "Eyes on the road, idiot. And what's that look for, anyway?"

"You think she's hot, right?" He smirked at me.

"She is, init," Eric's grin made its appearance as well, and I rolled my eyes at him. "Got that whole 'dark skin light hair' thing going on. Wonder what her parents look like?"

"Wow. Really, Diet?"

"Yeah, I think. Don't you wonder?"

"I mean, I guess, and yeah, she's... hot,  but that doesn't mean I was flirting with her. Can we talk about something else? We've been on this topic for literally the entire drive."

"Okay," shrugged Eric. "International break is soon. Two weeks, two friendlies, that should be good."

"Think you'll get the call up?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I think so," he shrugged. "I'm pretty confident. You guys?"

"Yeah, me too," I nodded.

"Dele you know you'll be Jordyn's teammate if you both get called up," Danny smirked at me.

"I thought we changed the subject," I sighed.

"He has a point tho, Del," Eric spoke in a softer voice, and I knew he was trying not to antagonise me. "Just be careful, yeah?"

"I'm fine, don't worry," I chuckled a little.

Eric and I had been friends since I joined Tottenham, which to be fair, wasn't all that long ago, as far as friendships go. But he was probably the closest friend I had these days, and I knew he sometimes worried about my temper on the pitch. Getting mad at opposing players was one thing, however. Showing anger towards your own teammate would really bring the press down on my head, apart from anything else, and that wasn't something I needed right now.

In truth, I wasn't entirely sure if Eric had reason to worry about me or not. I wasn't taking this seriously, and if Jordyn dropped her attitude, I wouldn't have a problem with her. But if she didn't, Well it was pretty funny to wind her up, and okay, maybe she's cute when she's mad. I didn't think it would affect our ability to play football for England on the same team, if it really came to that. The squad would be announced any day now, and all of us were pretty excited about it. Thankfully, Danny and Eric continued to discuss our future opponents, and left the Jordyn question for a while. They were making this a way bigger deal than it needed to be.

We were in the locker room the next day before training, when an almighty squeal came from the other side of the room. Our girls, Tamira, Sophie, and Mei were crowded around a phone, all celebrating like Tamira had just scored a screamer. I chuckled in amusement, as Mousa Dembele began sarcastically dancing with them, before throwing up his hands, looking completely baffled, and Tamira yelled at him to stop mocking them.