Declaration of love

Jan sweetened the tea. She planned to whip up some dinner soon but she figured she should get him comfortable first.
She turned to get a spoon, only to barrel into the hulking form of James Dalton. He glared down at her with intense eyes .
  "What?" She implored. She hadn't meant to get defensive but she didn't like the look on his face.
  "Do you love me?" He inquired.
Jan frowned. She pushed past him to get the spoon and returned to her tea making duties.
She pushed the cup into his hand and demanded he drink. He took a sip but still glared down at her.
She was about to make her escape when she felt a hand on her wrist. She stared down at the hand before looking up into his face. His expression had softened.
"Do you love me?" He croaked out.
She pulled out of his grasp. She crossed her arms.
"No."
"Liar." He smirked.
She turned away from him, ready to make her escape. She wasn't in the mood to be interrogated.
"I love you." He said to her retreating back. Jan stopped. She turned to look at him.
  "Why?"
"You know why. I've told you why. I can't go back without you. I'm not here because your mother asked. I'm here because I plan to make you mine."
"You barely know me."
"I know enough and I know I don't scare you. And I know you love me."
"No I don't." She whispered.

He stepped closer and fingered the chain around her neck. She felt goosebumps on her skin. He'd barely touched her yet she'd reacted.
"If you don't love me, then why haven't you gotten rid of this."
He rubbed the ring she'd put on the chain, the ring that he'd given her all those months ago.
"It's expensive." She explained feebly.   
He stepped closer and touched her neck. She shuddered involuntary from the contact.
  He smelled like Irish soap and Vicks. He lowered his head and kissed her cheek. She could hear his breathing. She closed her eyes and leaned in.
She kissed his lips, not caring that she could get sick. She leaned into him, bunching her hands into his shirt.
  He deepened the kiss. He tasted like the medicine and as his tongue danced in her mouth she felt the need to do things she hadn't done in years or enjoyed.
  He placed his hands on the small of her back and continued to explore her mouth. She smelled so good and tasted even better. He smiled as he continued to revel in this moment.
She'd denied loving him yet she'd responded to him like she owned him.  She didn't even realize what it all meant to him. The fact that she hadn't pulled away even though he could get her sick only confirmed what he already knew.
She loved him. He picked her and wrapped her long legs around his waist. There would be no escaping this time.
He carried her to the couch and laid her down before laying gently on top of her. He continued to kiss her. He kissed her neck and jaw line and basked in the moans that escaped her.
  When she giggled when he touched her side, his heart soared. He hoped to hear that sound all the time.
  He heard her murmur something. He stopped what he was doing and stared down into dark brown eyes that had dilated.
"What?"
"I said I love you." She whispered
He smiled feeling satisfied with whispered confession.
"I know ." He said smugly. Her eyes narrowed and she pushed until he fell to the floor.
Jan laughed until he pulled her on top of him.
"Come back with me?" He begged.
She sat up, her hands on his chest. She peered down at him, searching.
" Ok."
It was a simple answer but it was the one he wanted to hear. He hugged her again and kissed her hard.
"Yes!" He shouted and she shushed him.
"Stop that, I don't want my neighbors thinking something bad is happening."
He smirked and stared at her sheepishly.
"Sorry."
He kissed her again and said the words that he never planned to stop saying.
"I love you Ms Montgomery."
"I hate you Mr Dalton."
James laughed and tickled her , revelling in her laughter and struggling.
He loved this woman and he knew no matter how sarcastic and cranky she was that she loved him too and that made him the happiest man in the world.