Six - Husband and Wife

"I had never cried happy tears like that before; I think I sobbed on your shoulder for like half an hour."

Peter and Mariska were chuckling away together as they sat at their table, reminiscing about other parts of their relationship. They had both laughed at the memory of the proposal, though a couple tears had slipped from Mariska's eyes as she recalled every single word that had fallen from the lips of her handsome man on that very night over fourteen years earlier. That had been the night that had changed things for them completely, but truthfully, neither of them had ever felt more sure about anything in their lives.

"I was so fucking nervous, though; I thought you would say no, or you would run or something." Peter chuckled, still playing with the wedding band on her finger as he held her hand.

"Sweetheart, I wanted to marry you right after our first date; you were gonna be stuck with me whether you wanted it or not," she let out a laugh as she tucked some hair behind her ear, sighing at the memories that were swirling through her mind, "God baby, the fact that you actually went to my Dad's house while you were in LA, showed him the ring and asked for his blessing as well - when he told me that, I fucking cried down the phone."

"Well, I just wanted everything to be perfect, but I didn't want to propose if your father wasn't going to be okay with it; I never would have gone against him," Peter paused to take a sip of his wine; "I'm glad he said yes, because I wanted you for the rest of my life - and that has obviously not changed."

"Glad to hear it, Hermann," she smirked before leaning closer, speaking quietly; "Besides, I'm sure nobody could ever do that thing you like - not like I do it." She gave him a seductive smirk and winked, and he immediately chuckled and wriggled his eyebrows at her.

"Oh I completely agree; only you can make me feel...everything." he winked as well before kissing her knuckles her again. She let out the most adorable giggle, then took a sip of her wine yet again.

"I feel like we should have gotten an award for sorting out our wedding in three months though; engaged towards the end of May and married three months later - teamwork made that dream work." She laughed, flicking her gaze from her glass back to his face. He nodded in agreement, his lips curling into an amused smirk as he remembered the chaotic time.

"All because you were going back to work in September and neither of us wanted to wait a year to get married." He remarked. She nodded, drawing her lip in between her teeth. Memories of the day washed over her, and she felt like her heart was about to beat out of her chest.

"August twenty-eighth, two thousand four; the best day of our lives."

******

August 2004.

She stood inside the bedroom, looking out the window that overlooked the prettiest lake. Her make up and hair was done to perfection, small, diamond earrings dangled from her ears, a diamond bracelet was on her wrist, and her hair was in a neat bun with a flower accessory. The pale pink lace lingerie combo she was wearing was covered by a pale pink silk robe, and on the hanger, covered in a protective bag, was the stunning pale pink strapless gown by Caroline Herra.

Three months of intense planning had led to this day - the 28th of August, 2004; their wedding day.

Today, she was marrying the man of her dreams.

She swallowed the lump in her throat and blinked back the tears. She had so many emotions - happiness because she was marrying the best man, love that she felt for him and their family and friends, yet sadness because she wished more than anything that her mother was here. Jayne Mansfield would have been seventy one and no doubt still fabulous as hell, but she would be right beside her daughter on this day, helping her to get ready, probably giving her a pep talk. She missed the woman more than ever, but knew that Jayne was watching as on more than one occasion, she had showed her approval - whether through a strong wind that would surround the couple when they were out, or the prettiest flowers that seem to bloom outside the apartment that the couple had recently moved into, or even through her dreams. Either way, Jayne was still there and she approved.