Chapter 5

"I don't believe it."

Father Jose stared out in stupification at the tiny woman I held in the palm of my hand.

"And you say she's a Matthews?"

"Yes," I replied staring down at the grumpy girl sitting on my palm. She was not happy with Father Jose talking over her as if she were mute. But to all intents and purposes, she may as well be, for no one but I could hear her. My enhanced hearing was nothing more than a curse at this moment. Her tiny pitches of complaints were grating on my nerves.

"Which Matthews?"

"Does it matter? Look just take her off my hands and fix her," I stated forcefully. This was not what I signed up for... if I signed up for anything at all.

"I don't really feel right holding her. You might want to place her on the table."

I stared at him in disbelief but I was glad rid myself of her presence. I so it was with some relief that I washed my hands off her and turned to go.

"Wait! Where are you going? You're the only one who can hear her. I need you to communicate with her. I have some questions," Father José muttered as he set about pulling books from the shelf of his study and stacking them on his desk. I could see this had all the beginnings of a long and time consuming research . Time I didn't have to spare.

"I have to get to school. You're going  have to figure out another way of communicating with her," I said on my way out. "Oh, and you might want to be careful with where you toss those books... you wouldn't want to squelch her."

I ignored Father José cry of distress and little Lisa Matthews' frantic cry, and headed out the door. I have to head home and clean up before I go to school. Today was a  biology test I couldn't miss.