Chapter 6

"Alaric!" Called out a deliberately husky voice that could only belong to Stephanie Jenkins. I ignored it.

"Alaric Atari!"

I strolled on unaffected. It was not her first attempt in trying to get my attention and it wouldn't be the last. Jenkins was a snob just as her rich father was. Alfred Jenkins was good friends with my step-father. Any friends of his could never be friends of mine.

"Psst! Psst! Over here," called out the only other friend I did have. Rachel Matthews.

"Hi," I muttered softly as I slowly ambled over to her.

"Have you heard? My sister is missing.."

"She's with me," I was quick to interrupt her flow of words. Rachel was a talkative sort. The only reason I paid her any heed was that she cared. There were a scant few who cared at all if shit happened to me so I wasn't about to fuss over the peculiarities of those who did.

"She's with you? What do you mean she's with you," she gasped out chokingly.

I caught Rachel's suspicious glare and knew she immediately assumed the worst. 

"Just what I said, Lisa is with me," I said simply.

"I don't understand.."

"I'll take you to see her after school," I promised before heading away from her. I never lingered for a casual chat. I couldn't. The restless energy within me  didn't permit me to. So I moved on ignoring her calls but class was about to start soon and I knew she couldn't chase after me.

I suppose I shouldn't have mentioned Lisa at all. Afterall, Father José would work his magic and Lisa would be back to normal in no time at all. But I needed Rachel to be there when I headed back for Lisa. I hate the thought of what a full blown Lisa would be like. The miniature version of her was already more than I could handle.

I shook my head at my own thoughts then took my seat for the first lesson. Mrs Roberts would be taking the first class on modern history. I hated history. But not more than I hated Mrs Roberts.

I slumped back into my seat my thoughts instantly drifting off to ponder over the morning I just had. All in all it had been a disaster of the first order. Not only on my part for being too late but also from the Pelican's point of view. They offering had been nothing more than a sham. I felt there was more to it then I was seeing.  It just didn't seem logical that they could overlook the very basic check of ensuring their sacrifices were indeed virgins. To go through all that effort and not achieve what they set out for simply because of a superfluous slight was unthinkable. Yet that was just what happened.. or what appeared to happen.

"Alaric Atari!"

I jerked my attention back to the present.  The cougar was calling me. I stared at her briefly but her hot eyes made me want to shudder in revulsion. Mrs Roberts was not unattractive. She was fine looking in face and form. But just the idea of her thinking of me that way made me want to puke. But the fault was not hers. It this damn face I had that inspired lust in just about all female of our species.

All excepting the two Matthews whom I knew.

Interesting.