Chapter 4: Snail Mail and Scarlet Lengths

A/N
Maxine Grimm to the side

I'm not sure what woke me up. But my heart was beating a million miles an hour and my eyes were met with black and grey dots. I was lying on something solid but it wasn't the floor I looked up and I saw that I had fallen partially on Johnny. My vision was a little fuzzy but as I blinked a few times I saw that Reed and Sue were passed out too. I jumped up to avoid Johnny realising that I had passed out on him. But my head was suddenly racked and my vision blurred and my head was grated with a migrane,
'You okay?' I heard Sue say to her brother. I moved a step and tried to figure out what in the world was going on.

My uncle. Reed leapt to his feet.
'Ben?!' he shouted and opened the hatch door and lunged to the space suit. Ben was knocked out cold and I felt more tears coming on as the dry ones on my cheeks, shed. My god. How long were we out for? Minutes? Hours? Victor was going to freak. But I couldn't let anything else be priority as we got Ben's limp knocked out body to the ship and gathered the scraps of information and findings we could get and loaded ourselves back onto the ship. With Victor in tow, however he was harsh and cold and didn't even offer Sue any signal of sincerity or pity as we got back to earth.

The best part was when as soon as we got back earth we were put directly into quarantine before we could even get off the ship or tell anyone what had happened. We were just shipped off to the Von Doom safe secure area secluded somewhere up in the mountains. I didn't even get to admire the scenery as we were shuffled and hustled into the boxy building. I tried to get a word in edgewise with Sue or Reed or even Johnny but my ass was pushed into my own room and the door locked with only a nurse in there to help me put tubes into my arm and make me go to sleep.

><><><><><

I was glad that I had a quiet night rest but in the back of my mind I was constantly thinking about Ben. If he was okay and what was going on and if he was hurt...I woke up with my heart in my throat. I grabbed my chest and looked around then place and it was late morning. But it felt like time had passed more than I thought. I looked to the clock and it was about eleven I then looked at the date on the clock and it was two days after we got to quarantine. Holy crap what kinda anaesthetic was I put under?! I rubbed my eyes with the heels of my hands and got up. I showered and changed in the sterile white bathroom that reminded me of a crazy asylum. I wiped the fog that had collected itself on the bathroom mirror and examined the girl that stared back at me with chocolate brown eyes. She had electric red hair toothpick straight in a pretty looking bob cut. She was tall and slender but her chest was too big. She also looked like she hadn't slept in forever, she wore stone washed jeans and an emerald green tank top that made her hair look even redder, like it almost consisted of fire and would soon turn everything alight.

I turned away from the girl and walked into the room just as Johnny came strolling in.
'Who is it?' I mocked loudly, looking past Johnny and to the door like he wasn't there. 'Oh Johnny is that you? Go away!' I snapped and faced him straight on. I stomped past him and put my ugly paper hospital gown in the straw basket.
'It's great to see you too Max' he grinned and edged closer to me.
'What do you want Johnny?' I mumbled completely uninterested.
'Ben's waking up, I was just wondering if you wanted to see him' he said very un-Johnny like. My eyes widened and I suddenly felt bad.
'Oh my god, um, yes,' I said sheepishly and moved past him and was suddenly lost as soon as I stepped out into the hallway.

'You know a simply thank you or I'm sorry would suffice' Johnny raised an eyebrow at me and I glared at him.
'Two seconds away from being punched again Storm' I threatened.
'Calm down Tiger he's this way' he then grabbed my elbow and led me down the hall.

><><><><><

I walked into an even larger room for Ben and immediately rushed to his side. I saw his eyes flicker and adjust to the lightening.
'Hey rise and shine big boy' Johnny mused slowly and sat back on the chair supplied by Ben's bed.
'Uncle Ben, how are you feeling?' I said, urging myself to not completely envelope him in a hug.
'Huh, fine, I guess. Where am I?' he directed to Johnny.
'Back on earth, Victor's medical facility, we're in quarantine'
'Reed, Sue?'
'They're fine, everyone's fine' Johnny's expression turned down slightly and I caught onto what he was doing. The bastard... Ben was going to crack a joint!
'What's wrong with me?' Ben asked uneasily. I followed on and gave my best concerned face and bit my lip a little.
'I swear Ben they've done everything humanly possible.' Johnny continued. Now I was biting my lip to stop from laughing, 'You had the best here Ben the best plastic surgeons in the world couldn't fix it'