What's Life Without Death?

Present Day
It'd been a few days since my 17th birthday, and the world seemed to be turning into a war zone for people who came from different planets. Not just that, but my adoptive mother was getting quite sick... and for some reason, I knew her state was only going to worsen. 

That morning, everything seemed to be quieter than usual. There were no mutants roaming the streets, no one was screaming, and... nothing was set on fire. My mother wouldn't wake, but I just assumed that she hadn't gotten much sleep and drifted off some time early that morning.

Just as I finished my breakfast, I washed my bowl and received an urgent message from Vinx. It read; Ivy, quick, Mum has something she needs to tell you! Get here ASAP!! There's no time!! Hurry!!!

I wasted no time. I stuffed my phone in my pocket and dashed out the front door, PJs and all. I sprinted as if my life depended on reaching Mrs. Wicca's house. I made it in less than 5 minutes.

I barged inside and my eyes darted around in concern. "Vinx!? Where are you?" I called out desperately

Vinx's head popped around the corner where her mothers lounge room was. She waved me in and I hastily made my way into the room.

I spotted Mrs. Wicca sitting on her dark purple sofa couch. The color was drained from her face, and her eyes were blood shot and strained, as if she'd been crying.

"Mrs. Wicca, what's wrong?" I whispered, going over and sitting beside her.

Mrs. Wicca took my hand and gazed deep into my eyes. "My dear, this may come as a shock to you, but there's no time to lose. On the day you turned 17, you were gifted with a rare and special ability..."

I said nothing... I was confused, excited, and certain this was a joke. But then again, how the hell could she be joking when she looked so... depressed?

"... You have been granted the gift to give life to those who have died unnatural deaths."

It took a few seconds to sink in, and a few more for me to fully understand what she meant. But after a long moment of silence, I just started laughing.

"Child, I tell no word of a lie!" Mrs. Wicca had fresh tears streaming down her face by that point, but I couldn't stop giggling. "Please Ivy, listen to me before it's too late!"

"I'm sorry..." I said through loud snorts. "I'm so sorry, I can't help it –"

Vinx spun me around and slapped me hard across the face. My laughter quickly subsided and the feeling of emotional agony washed over me.

"... I'm just confused. I'm unsure as to what else to do. It's unbelievable. I'm just a normal girl, with hormone issues. Believe me... it's not easy to believe. I'm sorry."

"My dear, look at me!" Mrs. Wicca practically begged me. She grabbed my arm and tugged me closer, our eyes locked and I had lost all self control. It was as it she had possessed me or something. "If you had the power to bring a loved one back from the dead, would you do it?"

I waited a few seconds to answer, still quite unsure about all that was going on. "I suppose so..."

"What if it was someone like Loki?" Vinx suggested

I shrugged. "Sure... I mean, I'm a literal fangirl for him so... I would most likely resurrect him." 

I noted the fact it all sounded so cheesy and cliché. I was so confused, and it was all happening so fast. I didn't find it hard to believe, because Mrs. Wicca has never lied to me before... and believe me, she does NOT cry. Ever. So although my confusion and anxiety were strong, it didn't take long for all my questions and doubts to subside, especially after hearing the next thing Mrs. Wicca had to say.