[6] Chapter Six

"Some people are supposed to leave our lives. It may cause
immense pain, but there will still be people that are supposed
to stay by our side and make us smile." - ELLIE J.L.

(A/N: The following italized words are flashbacks of the past. Enjoy!)

Chapter Six

"You know, I don't think I'll be able to survive the party wearing these heels."

This night has caused different emotions to everyone. It was quite shocking to witness that Ting Tang Jing has decided to go back to Paris and become a lawyer. She even cut her hair to trully show to her parents that she's serious. Mei Zhen didn't see Shan Cai at the party anymore, thinking that her best friend left was a bit upsetting, but she thought her friend has reasons though.

The city of Shanghai was now enveloped by the dark canvas of the night sky, however the round moon and the twinkling stars has casted it's glow on the busy metropolis. Aside from the lights on the night sky, the tall buildings and skycrapers has also glowed with lights from afar.

On the sidewalk near the wide lake, a girl wearing a baby blue dress sits on a wooden bench, a pair of black heels on the side near her bare feet.

"The stars looks good tonight," Mei Zhen whispers, her head looking up. "They're like little fireflies." She says to no one in particular.

"Fireflies?"

"Yeah, those pretty lantern carrying winged creatures." She replies to the voice with enthusiasm before looking to the owner of the voice.

There at the bench next to hers was a young man with messy, brown waves looks up to the sky with his brown eyes, his back slightly slouched. Wearing the same white suit from the party, Mei Zhen thought that he looked handsome.

"Hua Ze Lei, what are you doing here?" The dark haired girl asks in surprise.

The boy looks at her with those innocent eyes of his, but something's different. It was obvious for Mei Zhen that his eyes held sadness, probably because of the shocking news that happened earlier. Rumor says that he likes Jing for the longest of time, of course he's one of the people who will be hurt the most.

"For fresh air," he replies, before his eyes set off to the wide lake before them. "I was here before you."

"Oh," Mei Zhen then looks at the lake before standing and grabbing her heels. She walks towards Hua Ze Lei, stopping in front of him. She opens her purse and hands him a chocolate flavored lollipop. "It should make you feel better, even for a little bit."

Hua Ze Lei stares at the young woman in front of him, before setting his eyes on her outstretched hand that's holding the piece of candy.

A little boy at the age of nine sits on a tree root where he was far from the people in the park. He's tired and frustrated. This day, he can't perfect a song piece that he's practicing on his piano. His body was curved into a ball, his arms resting on his knees, his ruffled brown hair his face that rests on his arms.

A metallic sound made the said boy look up and there he saw a tin can that has a long, red string attached to its bottom. Then the can was pulled a bit, as if there was a caller at the other end of the line. But the boy only stared at it quietly. The silver colored can then projected a small, but confident voice of a girl.

"Hello? Is anybody there?"

The boy merely stared at it quietly, but now, with a bit of curiosity.

"If someone's there, can you pick this device?"

The boy contemplated for a moment, then cautiously picked up the can and stared at its mouth before putting it on his ear.

"Hi? Hellooo?"

The boy placed the can on a small distance to his mouth before speaking softly, "Hello?" He then placed the can on his ear.

"Yes! Finally, I'm Zhen. What's your name?"

". . . Lei."

"What's wrong? Is something bothering you?"

". . ." The boy kept quiet, seconds later a girl about his age stands in front of him and offers a friendly smile, she sits beside him without a word.

"You know, that's okay if you won't tell me." She spoke, her eyes looking at the kids having fun in the playground. Lei stays quiet, but looks at the tin can in the girl's hold. "I know it's not much but, this will make you better." The girl offers a strawberry favored lollipop.

"Hua Ze Lei," Lei blinks and his eyes looks at Mei Zhen who sends him a weird look. Before she could take back the candy, Lei grabs it and pockets it in his blazer.

Mei Zhen smiles, "I should be going."

"I need to go. My papa is probably waiting for me."

Huang Mei Zhen turns her back, but she stops when a hand holds the fabric of her left long sleeve. "You're wounded," at the mention of that, Mei Zhen looks at her feet that's full of blisters from wearing the pair of shoes.

"Ah, it's fine." She waves off, smiling.

Lei still did not let go of her, "Those will get infected." He stands and crouches, his back facing her.

"W-what are you doing?"

"I'm giving you a piggy back ride?" He says like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I'm okay, really." Mei Zhen reasons out, but Hua Ze Lei didn't say anything and stayed on his crouched position.

The boyish woman sighs and places her arms around the quiet boy's neck. She adjusts her dress, good thing she wore a black cycling shorts that's just ahove her knees. As Hua Ze Lei walks on the side walk, it was surprising that Mei Zhen was lighter than he expected. He thought that she has an average weight of women her height, but this time, she's a bit lighter. Well, it's just probably his imagination.

Mei Zhen didn't like the silence. It was like the quiet aura around them gave her awkwardness. She contemplated whether to speak or not, in the end she choose the first. She opened her mouth to start a random conversation, but much to her embarrassment, her stomach grumbles, begging for food. Her cheeks shaded into a pinkish red, especially when Hua Ze Lei stops walking.

"Are you hungry?" He asks quietly, looking behind him but he can't see much of the girl on his back.

[To be continued. . .]

Hey loves! I just finished my National Achievement Test, so
wish me luck. Hopefully I'll be able to pass it with acceptable grades.
Next update will be next week, because I have a crappy internet
connection atm. Til next time!
-Ellie

Word Count: 1100