[11] Chapter Eleven

A Plate of Pie

Chapter Eleven

(Still in Mei Zhen's POV)

My eye twitched as I set the cup of macchiato on the table where the shop's first customers of the day sat. Mei Zou's smile grew even wider after noticing the look on my face. When Hua Ze Lei looked up to me, I forced a smile and only looked at the man with unruly hair for a second before I walked towards the counter to place the tray.

I continued my morning routine in the café, and one is cleaning the windows. With a tray of bucket in my hand, I started cleaning the outside while ignoring the obvious stare that the joker member of F4 is sending me. Unconsciously, I took a glance but regretted it at the end.

Mei Zou's smile grew even wider as he gave me a wave with

I focused on my work, using the wiper to remove the bubbly liquid and minutes later, I was done. I've finished cleaning and rearranging the tables earlier as well as the inside windows. Returning the cleaning tools in the equipment room, I washed my hands before going back to the counter.

First, I thought that they already left, but again, I was wrong. Mei Zou was scrolling on his phone, smiling or chuckling every five seconds or so. Hua Ze Lei was staring blankly at nothingness, while he holds his cup of Americano.

Suddenly, Mei Zou stands and says something to the sleepy head, words that I cannot hear clearly due to the distance. All I saw was Hua Ze Lei nodding and Mei Zou leaves, walking towards the door.

"See you around Mei Zhen," he smiles before exiting the shop.

I didn't say anything, and continued to do my work.

"Why don't you talk to him?" I turned and was greeted by Li Fei's warm smile.

I only furrowed my eyebrows at her statement, in which she only continued to speak. "I don't think that young man went here this early just to have a cup of Americano and stare at the window blankly," she says, glancing at the only customer at the shop.

"How can you say that? He's seems to be a regular here Miss Li Fei." I reasoned.

"He is, but when you started working here, that young man goes to this shop more often."

Not knowing the right words to reply, I stayed silent. But a plate of peach mango pie was placed on the counter. I looked up and Li Fei nods her head, pushing the plate to me.

"Go talk to him dear. This might be one of the rare times that you get to speak to him alone," she spoke softly.

* * *

Mustering the courage that I had, I walked to his table and placed the pie in front of him. He stared at the pie and then looked up to me with those innocent looking brown eyes.

"I didn't ordered this," he says.

I shifted me feet awkwardly, my hands fidgetting behind me back.

"Um, i-it's free. Miss Li Fei, the owner of the shop says that. . . because you're the first customer of the day." I explained, cursing myself for being a stuttering mess.

Hua Ze Lei didn't say anything, but he continued to look at me. It's adding to me awkwardness because I don't even know what he's thinking.

"I can't eat all of this," he finally says.

Again, I looked at the pie that has two slices. Turning my head to the Li Fei behind the counter, she only gave me an acknowledging smile.

"Uh, I can return the other slice--"

"No."

"Huh?" I asked dumbly.

"Eat it with me," he says.

"Oh," I pulled the chair across him and sat quietly.

I looked everywhere, except his eyes. Well, how could I stare at him if everytime I look at his face, I remember what happened at the beach days ago.

I was so distracted with my thoughts that I didn't had the time to react when I tasted something sweet in my mouth. I looked at the person in front of me, Hua Ze Lei who holds a spoon with an innocent look on his face.

"Wh--"

"Chew, don't talk or you'll choke."

I did what he said, chewing slowly before taking in the food. "What. . . what are you doing here Hua Ze Lei?" I asked, after mustering the courage to speak.

He didn't say anything, he only replied with a small smile before taking a bite of the pie from the same fork (which made me embarrassed, I might add) and looked out of the window.

The Next Day. . .

"What?" I stared wide eyed at Quing He, my lunch long forgotten.

"You heard me. Dao Ming Si challenged Hua Ze Lei and Shan Cai in the game of bridge. If they lose, they will need to drop out." He says with bitterness in his tone.  "If I was there, I would have saved Shan Cai." He spoke.

"And that's why Dao Ming Si decided to make you the new member of F4 after kicking Hua Ze Lei out?" I say, which earned a nod.

"I was happy. I mean, it's rare for the F4 remember an average student in Mingde, let alone allow someone to be part of their group. But this situation isn't making me happy at all."

After having that talk with Quing He, I finished my remaining classes for the day before visiting my locker to put away my books. As I was walking along the hallways, I've crossed paths with the infamous F4.

Though they don't seem like a group of four people anymore.

If it were any other day, I would've approached that jerk Dao Ming Si and shower him with insults or teasing. But today's different. I didn't say a word nor looked at the three's direction.

We passed each other like strangers.

I left campus with my bike, pedaling at a medium pace. I was at an intersection when a traffic lights were signalling red, and out of the blue I glanced to my left.

The sight made my heart drop.

There, at a café, Hua Ze Lei and Dong Shan Cai were there laughing and enjoying to what seems like cards.

It looks like they're practising for the upcoming bridge match.

But what I'm more concerned is, Hua Ze Lei has never smiled nor laughed with me like that.

It aches my heart. . . very much.

Blinking the forming tears at the side of my eyes which I didn't know were there, I stared at the traffic lights that has now shifted to green. Smiling to myself, I pedaled, passing by the certain café where my heart stayed.

Because a certain person, even though has not realized it, has taken my heart with my feelings screaming for him.

THIRD POV

As Mei Zhen passed by the café, Hua Ze Lei took a glance outside the window to look at the streets.

He felt like something, no someone he knew is there.

Was.

But he was seconds too late to catch Mei Zhen's figure, pedaling by the coffee shop.

"For now, it seems like I'm not the person that should be by your side. . . Hua Ze Lei."

[To be continued. . .]