LYKY

There were a series of crates that lined the alley. Josh took a seat on one, and I knew that he was showing me one of his hiding places; I regretted that I could never do the same.

"I didn't know you were coming today."

"Yeah...well...surprise," I said weakly.

"Hey, what are you doing next Friday, 'cause-"

"I don't know," I blurted, and I didn't. The shadow of the building sliced through the alley, splitting it into light and dark and I didn't know where to stand. On one side it was cold, on the other, the sun burned my eyes. So I just stood there, straddling the shadow.

"Well, there's this thing at school, and if you can come I was going to get tickets."

"I don't know, okay? I don't know where I'll be next week. I mean..." I stumbled over my words. "I mean my parents may not let me-"

"When are you going to stand up to them?" Josh stood and blocked the sun from my eyes.

"When am I going to stand up to them?" I cried. "Yeah, those are big words from the guy in the Abrams' Family Pharmacy t-shirt. How's the family business treating you?" I mocked.

"Hey." He caught my arm, anchored me to him because neither of us wanted to drift apart. "I'm sorry."

But I didn't say it back, maybe because a part of me wasn't sorry.