OGSY

If you're a teenage girl, and if you're traveling out of the country without your parents for the very first time in your life, then you're probably pretty used to having rules. If you've been sneaking out of your top secret spy school since you were in 7th grade, then you might not be used to following them. But this time, I knew was different.

As I followed Bex's mother down the narrow hall I heard my mother's words coming out of Bex's mother's mouth.

"Best to stay away from the windows," she said.

"Snipers," I added.

She nodded. "Of course that's not The Circle's pattern with you thus far, but these things do change, you know?"

I did know.

When we reached the door I saw Bex's father standing at the window, staring out.

"Everyone ready then?" he asked. When he spoke he looked like his daughter. They both had light brown eyes and they sparkled in the same way, but Bex most closely resembled her mother. And maybe that was why it was so strange to hear the words, "Cammie, love, we really don't have to do this," coming from the woman's mouth.

Bex didn't worry. Bex didn't warn. She'd been my best friend for years and I had never seen her wear such a grown-up worry. Some might say that was because we were far from grownups, but I knew better. By that point I knew a lot of things.

"I'd really like to go," I told her. "I won't take any chances," I said, practically pleading by then. "I'll be...good."

Mrs. Baxter's eyes were softer. "I know, dear."

Bex's father peeked out the narrow window by the door. "Backup is in position," he said.

And then my best friend was beside me and her parents led the way out into the cold.