Water

Although I hadn't realized we'd been holding back, Joe and I completely opened up to each other after that night. I find I want to know everything about him. When is his birthday, where does he go to school, did he play sports, what are his friends like, and the list goes on. Joe asks me the same questions and more.

I've been living here a week and decided this morning that it was time to finally wash my clothes. I've gone through every article of clothing I brought—multiple times—and they are starting to have an odor. Joe left after lunch to get more chicken, so I figured it was the perfect way to spend the afternoon by myself.

When I reach the stream I quickly get to work. I've never had to hand wash my clothes before—let alone in a stream—but I try my best. By the time I finish with what I brought, my forearms are killing me from wringing the clothes out. I start to think about the clothes I'm wearing and decide to wash them too, saving me from having to do this again sooner than necessary. I can just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet until they are at least semi-dry.

I have to admit it feels oddly freeing to be sitting next to a stream dipping my clothes into the water completely nude. I feel connected to nature in a way I haven't yet. There is nothing stopping the oxygen being produced by the trees surrounding me from touching everywhere on my body. I belong here.

It's very hot today—at least 90 degrees—so I decide to go for a swim. I'm feeling very comfortable in my skin, and I've worked up a sweat. With my clothes laid out on a large, flat rock, I slowly walk into the water. There is a small waterfall nearby and the sound is deafening. I revel in the sensation of being completely closed off. I float on my back and look at the clouds. I never noticed how beautiful clouds were. Why had I never looked before?

Eventually, I close my eyes, shutting everything out but the water surrounding me and the sun kissing my bare skin. I don't know how long I lie like that—could have been minutes or hours—before I open my eyes to see movement by the shore. I turn my head and see Joe. I am so relaxed that I'm not sure if this is a dream or real life, either could be possible. I see him place the Boston Market bag on the ground, and it brings me back to reality. Oh my God, I'm naked.

I stop floating to stand upright. Thankfully, the water is dark enough that he shouldn't be able to see anything as long as I stay under. As I watch him though, I realize that he doesn't know I'm here. He's oblivious to my clothes lying on the rock next to him. Since he still has the food, he must have come straight here. He probably thinks I'm at the house. He came here to be alone.

He pulls his shirt and shoes off and practically dives into the water. When he resurfaces, he floats on his back, just like I had been doing. I watch him for a moment. He looks so happy and relaxed. Like this, it's easy to picture him as he really is, a fifteen year old boy, getting ready to start his sophomore year of high school, with a family that loves and misses him.

I don't want to take this moment from him, so I decide to just quietly sneak away. I begin to walk away when I hear him, "MJ?"

I freeze and turn around to face him. He's swimming toward me now, and I instinctively try to cover myself with my arms. He doesn't realize I'm naked—I normally wouldn't be—until he gets closer and sees my bare shoulders. His eyes widen momentarily before snapping shut. He begins stammering, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, MJ. I didn't realize you were...that you don't have on any...I'm sorry."

He starts swimming away, with his eyes still closed, in the wrong direction. "Joe? You should probably open your eyes—unless you want to drown that is." He stops and opens his eyes, but still won't face me. I laugh. His shyness is making me brave. "You can come over here. You can't see anything under the water."