MJ

"Do you need a ride home today?" Bella asks as I grab my jacket from my locker.

"Actually, I think I'm going to walk. It's warmer than normal for November, I want to take advantage of it," I shrug.

She rolls her eyes playfully. "You like to be outdoors more than anyone I know."

I smile. She doesn't know about my summer, or Joe. The summer that changed my life.

I called my mom as soon as I was able to plug my phone in after leaving Joe. She was there thirty minutes later. She'd bought a junker car while I had been gone. I still wasn't ready to kiss and make up, so we rode in silence as we drove to the hospital.

I will be eternally grateful that I was able to see my grandma before she passed. I lived at the hospital for the last few days of her life—besides going home to take a much needed shower.

At one point when my mom and I were speaking to a doctor in the hallway, I would've sworn I saw Joe—but I thought it was impossible. What would he be doing here? His back was to me before turning the corner toward the elevators. He was with a group of teenagers and adults. It couldn't have been him though, right?

After my grandma was gone—and yes, I cried for the first time since I was a toddler—I saw the news that Joe was found. I wish I knew the circumstances.

Three months has passed since then, and he hasn't contacted me. The first month he was back, my phone didn't leave my side. Every time it rang and it wasn't him, my chest ached more and more. I know he was upset with me for leaving, so I haven't tried to find him either. I can't help but think that he might've reconnected with Kelly, as well. That thought hurts more than anything.

I know his name, and I know what school he goes to, but if he chose not to call me after I left him my number, I don't want to push it. If he wanted to talk to me, he would. I'll give him space—forever, if that's what he wants. I don't regret leaving him when I did, but I still feel guilty.

Before him, I didn't allow myself to be vulnerable--not with boys, not with friends, definitely not with family. He taught me that it's okay to put myself out there and trust other people. As much as I am upset that Joe doesn't want to reconnect with me, I wouldn't take back my time with him for anything. 

I actually only have one regret, and that was not telling him I loved him. I know now without a doubt that I do. Even though it's been three months, I still think about him constantly. Everything reminds me of him. 

I did go back to the woods once, like I told him I would. But, of course, he wasn't there. I knew he wouldn't be, but I just wanted to see it one more time. I did, however, meet a short, mouse-faced boy who appeared to be sleeping when I arrived. Biaggio.

"Are you staying here?" I asked.
"I'm not staying anywhere."
"Okay. But were you just sleeping?"
"I don't sleep."

Oooookay. Joe's description of him was very accurate.

My life has done a one-eighty since I returned. We're still not best friends, but my mom has cleaned up her act, gotten a job, and actually started involving herself in my life. She took it very hard when her mom died, and I think it was a wake up call of sorts. I don't know if it will last, but I will do everything I can to help her.  

I took a vow that my senior year was going to be my best one. I joined the Adventure Club and the Hiking Club and have met new people that I never would have known otherwise, including Bella. Thanks to Joe, I've found my niche and am having the best time.

I continue walking with Bella until we hit the outside. She starts walking to the school parking lot, and I head the other direction towards my house. "See ya tomorrow!" I turn around to yell. She waves at me from behind her back.

As I turn back around, I feel an electric shock. Maybe it's colder than I had thought...but then I see the cause. As my fellow students clear the path, I see Joe.

He's leaning his back against a car, looking at all the faces passing him. I see a red haired boy and blonde girl sitting in the front also looking in my direction.

Joe doesn't see me at first, but I know the moment he does. He breaks into a huge smile that takes over his face. I imagined that if I ever saw him again, I would run into his arms and kiss him passionately. Now that the moment is here, I'm nervous.

I can hear my heart beating as I slowly walk down the sidewalk to Joe. As I get closer, my nerves are simultaneously getting anxious and excited. I can't believe he is here.

I stop in front of him. I want to touch him, but I don't. I'm not sure what he is here to say. What if he just came to officially "break up"? Although that wouldn't make sense because we were never officially a "couple."

His hands are in the pockets of his hoodie, and I can see that he is nervous too. "Hey," he says quietly.

It makes me smile. After everything he and I have been through, he's uncomfortable. It makes me feel more confident. I hold my hands out for him to hold and am relieved when he does. I'm instantly more calm.

He talks again. "I'm sorry it's taken me so long to find you. I was grounded, of course, until today. I knew you went to school here, so I came as soon as I could."

"Why didn't you just call me?" He creases his eyebrows, confused, so I continue. "I left you my phone number."

He looks down at the ground, sad. "I didn't see it. I wish I would have."

I place my hand under his chin and raise it to look at me while taking a step closer. "You're here now."

He places his hand on my neck and brings me closer. As our lips touch, the world disappears. The kids walking past us are no longer there. It's just Joe and I. We hold the kiss for a long time, not wanting to let each other go. 

As we break apart, I hear hooping and hollering from inside the car. I look down and see the boy and girl cheering us on. Joe smiles, "That's Patrick and Kelly."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. Joe is going to need to catch me up...but later.

"Joe, I need to tell you..." I start, and he looks nervous again. "I love you. I should have told you before. I'm sorry I didn't."

He immediately relaxes, and that smile returns. "I love you, MJ. Come here." He pulls me into a hug, and I breathe deep--breathing him in. 

I love him, and he loves me. We can get through anything together. 

Ahhhhh! I love Joe so much! I'm sad that this story is done. 

Since I am obsessed with Nick Robinson, I will be working on a Jurassic World/Zach Mitchell fanfic next! I'm still trying to decide if that one will have more smut or be more PG-13 (similar to this one). If you have a suggestion on smut-level, let me know!

As always, thank you for reading!!!