High School. Period.

HIGH SCHOOL. PERIOD.

No. Me, not mad. Okay? Not mad.

I'm ASSUMING that majority of the writers/readers here are in high school as when you get to uni, you're busy, you have a job, all that. And when you're in middle school, well, you're either really talented or imaging what high school is, which is a very good thing as... Well. I've got nothing.

These are ALL my opinions.

Disclaimer, done.

 THE CLICHES I SEE.

Apparently there's always the boy (new kid), the boy (mysterious badass), the girl (enemy slut), the girl (your BFF who is crazy, semi-popular, beautifuller than you are, your idol, whatever).

#0.5: BAD BOY is your LOVER BOY.
THIS
 is what I see, like, in every other teen fiction, and humor, chicklit, or romance related novel. SWITCH it up a bit. Instead of writing about Yeller Teigen, the mysterious bad boy that every girl wants to know more about, and the main character, that's about the nerdiest or oddest girl out of the bunch, somehow always gets that one boy's attention without attracting anyone else.

Sure, you may want attention from that real bad boy of your class, but don't always make it seem like they want you. Maybe they see an aspect of you they haven't seen before EVER. Or they've never even noticed you. Don't make it so that they've either a) always hated you, or b) always adored you.

#1: The SLUT is the ENEMY.
Okay, so yeah, if you're often referred to as the slut, then you're most likely a b*tchy wh*re no one likes. BUT they don't have to be the enemy. Changing it up and making some smart prep the enemy, or something elite and high class in estate can really shape up the interest. Hey, why not even have some nerdy chick threatening the main character that "nerdy" is the new "cool".

Now you've got something to FIGHT for. Not just some girl who just hates you for no apparent reason that you don't bother to hate back because they're hopeless sluts that are going to get into no school either way.

#2: The EX GIRLFRIEND is, like, DARTH VADER. Or the BFF.
OMG. This is worse than the one up above. The ex girlfriend of your bad boy or lover boy hates or forgives you way too quickly; kind of suspicious. Okay, this does make sense, but why not shape it? Try leveling that ex girlfriend rather than keeping her staying the minor character.

MAINS: dynamic = changes from the beginning to the end of the story.
MINORS: static = remains the same beginning and end of story.

Make her a main character, an important figure, and have her change throughout the story. I would rather see some attention over her head rather than the typical "she hates me and now she's either going to a, team up with the slut and try to ruin me or b, become my bestie!"

#3: WEAK main character.
So, if the main character is empowered gradually from a weak nerdy nobody to one of the strongest confident women the world has seen, I'm okay with it. It's refreshing to read once in a while. BUT if the main character is weak and STAYS that way throughout the ENTIRE NEXT THIRTY CHAPTERS OF THE BOOK?!

Thats when I whip my taser out.
(Swear to God, I only see this happening in high school related stories)

#4: The BET. Dun, dun, DUN.
It all starts with that one bet that seems to pull the nerdy girl and the popular boy together.

Unless you're a gambling addict or someone who tastes nasty risks (which shy girls don't), the use of bets just doesn't exist. Besides, what is a bet? Other than a promise, you can escape it any time. But for SOME REASON, that popular boy who can get a girl a hundred times better than the main character, wants to be with you as he feels he's connected to you. And then the next week he says he's in love with you.