Cinnamon Kisses

LEO

"Leo! Leo!"

I shuddered awake. It had been the nightmare about the explosion, like usual, but now a woman was screaming my name? Was she hurt? Bleeding? Dying?

Where the hell am I?

Oh.

In bed.

In Jessica's hotel.

Exhaling, I turned on the light perched on the nightstand next to the sleek, art deco style bed. I blinked several times and tried to collect myself. Had someone really been calling my name?

I heard a knock at the door. It was insistent.

"Leo! Are you okay? Please open up."

Shit.

I groaned inwardly and checked the time. It was three in the morning. I must have shouted loud enough to wake Jessica. Only a few hours ago I'd chastely kissed her goodnight in the kitchen. It was good the guest had come in. I'd been poised to take Jessica to bed. And while it was exactly what I wanted, I still wasn't prepared to tell her about my nocturnal issues. So, I'd been proud I'd mustered the willpower not to bust into her room once the clueless insomniac guest went upstairs.

I rose to unlock the door and opened it slowly, grateful I'd worn a T-shirt and cotton boxers to sleep.

"Oh, thank God, you're fine." She let out a breath.

"I'm sorry. Sorry for waking you."

"I was worried something was really wrong. You were shouting. At first, I thought someone was breaking in, but then I realized it was you. And I got concerned."

I looked up at her, fearing my eyes screamed with fear and sadness. Or worse, weakness.

"You're having a nightmare," she said.

I nodded and stared at the floor, embarrassed.

"Hey," she whispered. "It's going to be okay."

She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around me. Hesitantly, I returned her hug, running my hands over the soft cotton of her shirt, up and down her back. She wore a matching sky-blue top and little shorts. If I weren't so drained from the nightmare, I would have had a difficult time controlling my desire for her. The little pajama outfit barely concealed her body.

"Come on." She pulled me back toward the bed.

"Jessica, I'm okay. I'm going back to sleep, and you should too," I protested. I wanted her to leave, but was too tired to put up a fight. Or, no, I didn't want her to go. What I really wanted was her comfort.

"Hush. Get back in bed."

She cranked up the air conditioner, and a cool breeze washed across my overheated skin. Since it was so warm in the room, why hadn't I thought of that? I wasn't thinking straight. Hadn't been since...well, for a long time now. I slid between the sheets and tried not to act surprised when she climbed on the bed and sat next to me.

"Lie on your side. Away from me. And take off your shirt. It's soaked with sweat."

I did as she asked, and she rubbed my back. While my skin was scorching, her hand felt soothing, cool. I flopped onto my stomach, and she caressed me with long, slow strokes of her fingers.

"Just go back to sleep," she whispered. "You're okay now. Safe."

I felt her lean over and turn out the light, the movement bathing me in her floral, feminine scent. I rolled onto my side, anticipating she'd leave. It was only right. This was no way to sweep a woman off her feet. Who would want to deal with issues like this? She was just being nice before she made her escape.