Chapter Two - Encounter of the Third Kind

I WANDERED ON A GRAVEL path along the road. Walking helped to clear my mind, and with all the food I ate, it greatly eased the digestion.

The sun colored the horizon into captivating shades of purple and golden. Dusty little rocks crumbled under my shoes as I paced, it being the only sound in the vicinity. No passing cars, and most certainly no tidal waves. Our house was nestled between valleys, on the outskirts of town.

I came to realize that there were no neighbors along the road. One property was located almost a half-hour's hike from mine, but the driveway was empty, and a muddied 'For Sale' post had been planted in the overgrown weeds.

My steps led me to a forest entrance. Shadows spanned vastly over the leaf-strewn ground.

Everything was coated in moss or striped with thick vines, from bark to boulders. The canopy of leaves was so dense I couldn't see the birds chirping when they sang right above my head. Disorientating, but beautiful at the same time.

It seemed like a great hiking spot for experienced people. I was surprised at the lack of trail maps, warming huts or bathroom stop signs. I couldn't even find a picnic table.

My thoughts drifted back to Mom, and to the place I abandoned to come here. She seemed happier now that she was with Suzan and it made me wonder if she was less happy before... with me. I shook my head, pushing the appalling idea away. It wasn't true, was it?

But she sold the beach house right after I left with Dad to pay her trips. Had it been that easy? It felt like she'd been waiting for me to go.

Maybe it wasn't bad. She had a life, too, and she deserved to enjoy it with the one she loved. Still, I was bummed without frequent news of her. I missed the mere sound of her voice.

Time was distorted in this place. It gave the illusion of walking for fifteen minutes when it was probably way longer than that. Blinking, I focused on reality again. My eyes rose to the trees to find the sun, but it was gone. I looked at the roots gnarling at my feet. Shadows had disappeared.

Shit.

A chilly breeze crossed my bare legs, giving me goosebumps. I reached for my cellphone to call Dad and tell him I'd be late, but my hand slapped an empty pocket. Did I leave it charging in my room...? No, no. I clearly remember unplugging it and taking it with me.

Did it fall out of pocket at any point?

Glancing around, I took in as much as I could see in the darkness. After the shrubs in front of me, I couldn't see anything. I'd been distracted, and now with nightfall, I'd miss all the landmarks I might have registered.

Way to go, Riley, way to go.

Palms sweaty, I tried to retrace my steps down the path, but I'd gone through countless turns. My head tipped over my shoulder every couple of seconds, unable to shake off the eerie feeling that something watched me from the depths of the woods. Imagination didn't care about age, huh.

Despite my heart rate going up, I reasoned instead of caving to panic. As long as I followed a path, I'd encounter an exit sooner or later. Simple logic, right? I continued walking—faster this time to warm up my shivering body—and warded branches off my face.

I halted at another crossroad, sending a circular glance at my surroundings. Frustration welled in me. Was I even progressing? I'd do anything for a map or a cellphone now. Letting out an annoyed breath, I turned in my spot and my pulse spiked.

Underneath the moonlight stood still an odd figure. I couldn't tell the shape. Round yet angular, it was no higher than my thighs. It couldn't be a boulder; I could see the thing breathe as it watched me through glowing blue eyes. I squinted for a clear look but couldn't move.

"H-hello?"

It flinched at the sound of my voice. The eyes kept staring, so unreal and ghostly against the background. Tiny hairs on the back of my neck rose. I blinked to focus on the form blocking the pathway, but my sight didn't clear up. My stare was hooked onto the striking, yet horribly fascinating pair of eyes.

It was a searing, electric blue. The kind you would associate with lightning. The kind you could never forget. The kind that couldn't be human.

The dark figure's head tilted, then thin, long legs unfolded, standing on two distinct feet. Shoulders broad and arms hanging at its side, reaching six feet tall, it growled lowly.

For the first seconds, I still couldn't move. I remembered my feet not pivoting fast enough, a rush in my mind as I thought that I had nowhere to go, and a vague urge to jump out of my body. Instinct slammed into me like lightning shooting down from the clouds.

My heart skipped a beat, and I finally sprang into a run in the opposite direction. I leaped off the track and sprinted through the trees, pushing my arms and legs in the dimness as fast as I possibly could.

Branches snagged at my hair. My sneakers rustled through layers of leaves and slipped on muddy soil. Behind me, a high-pitched screech tore the night air, stealing my breath away. It was getting closer. The trees around me grew blurry as I sprinted, not knowing where I'd end up. Getting lost was better than getting caught.

I jumped over a fallen trunk, feeling the burn expand in my legs and chest. I didn't know for how long this would last. All I knew was that I heard the animal growling its way through the woods to catch up. My heartbeat pounded in my ears, speeding up as I hopped over a rock and—

Pain spliced my shin, causing me to stop.

One hand went to my ankle, the other to my mouth to muffle the yell. I sprained it. I sprained my ankle. I eyed the rock, cursing inwardly and on the verge of bursting into tears. The hunt was over as quickly as it began. And I lost.

The thing will find me within seconds. With my heart in my throat, I crouched behind a wide tree trunk, squeezing my eyes shut. Dad had no idea where I was right now. He'd never know what happened. I attempted to control my breath to calm down, but it was no use. I didn't want to die... I didn't want to die...

The thing snarled a few yards away, its steps light but audible. The hand on my mouth pressed harder as tears pricked my eyes. I was shaking, paralyzed behind the only tree separating me from that unknown animal. It slowed down, and all turned silent.

I peeked over my shoulder, too scared to breathe anymore, and caught the blue eyes scouring the forest floor.

The thing was bipedal. It looked sort of human, and my mind balked. Bigfoot...?

A twig snapped under my weight, and I gasped. The creature's body swiveled in my direction almost immediately, its gaze twinkling with a predatory light. The scream I held off for so long finally let loose. A flock of birds flew out of their nest as I frantically backpedaled away from the tree. But it was no use. The thing was so incredibly fast.

All I saw were the haunting eyes draw closer, locked onto mine. There was a shocking wave of heat. A flash of light sparked in the corner of my vision, then nothing.

✩