Chapter Thirty-Four - Choosing Your Friends

LUC DROPPED ME OFF BEFORE SUNRISE.

I hugged Dad tightly, fighting tooth and nail not to burst into tears and failing. Everything going on with the mutants, the Wanderers, Homecoming, Emma being in a coma with no surefire road to recovery, it filled me with a brand of fear I've never known in my life. I bawled on his shoulder, wetting his sweater with my tears. He stroked my hair calmly until I stopped sniffling.

"Kiddo," he spoke, looking me in the eye and wiping my face. "I know that what happened was very unfair. But as much devastating as it is, it's not something we can control."

My throat was sore. I didn't muster the energy to work some words in response.

"You know, it's a part of life," he went on, and his lips stretched into a doleful smile. Of all people, I knew he'd confronted death in the military, and in a harsh light. He never talked about it, but sometimes he'd return from abroad but his mind was still there. "I know you, maybe more than you know yourself. You'll get through it because you're strong. It's okay to mourn your classmates. And thank God, you're okay too."

He kissed the side of my forehead. I felt like a pit opened itself in my gut and replaced my insides.

"I'm sorry I worried you, I—," I managed to croak. "—I didn't mean to get near again and not calling you sooner and it was hard to get through the crowd—"

He gave an aggravated sigh. "It's okay, Riles. You did your best. We can only hope Emma gets better."

Dad offered to brew more tea which I accepted. I asked him about going out of town for the whole weekend, that way he'd be back in time for work. Before exiting the car, Luc wondered if I could leave for the weekend, so him and his people could focus on the problem and not spread too thin.

Not only did Dad agree, but proposed to work remotely so we could take Monday, as well. Few things sounded more tempting than that in the immediate present.

We left Oakwood as planned—to get some air, not for the usual go-karting or paintball session. It felt wrong to enjoy things. The shifting and gloomy weather wasn't helping. I told Luc to call me if anything changed with Emma. During the trip, I mindlessly checked my phone in case my screen would pop up, but it never did.

Dad and I had returned Monday late afternoon when I finally received a call. I raced to my room and answered.

"Please tell me you have good news."

"Well, there's a surprise for you," Luc said, and I couldn't decipher what it meant by his tone. "Look outside your window."

I walked over there and pulled my curtain in one motion only to see him standing in the waning sunlight, his phone against his ear. The light of the evening sun encased his figure in a soft orange hue.

"This is the surprise?" I huffed.

He looked tiny from a distance, yet I caught that smirk. A hand rubbed at his chest. "You ought to know people usually appreciate my thoughtful surprises and my charming presence."

"What's going on, Luc?" I turned away from the window, unwilling to let him see my own smirk. With all the horrible events and after he lied to me, it was plain wrong. "Is it about Emma?"

"Walk with me and you'll find out," was all he replied.

My curiosity was killing me. I hung up and bounced down the stairs. The sky was grey and night would encroach soon, so I picked up a jacket. I approached Dad in the living room and hoped he'd give me the green light.

"I'm going out for a while with Luc," I announced, scanning his face for a reaction. "That okay with you?"

He lifted his head. I could tell he was considering whether it was safe to wander at this hour so early after the Homecoming crisis. I still haven't checked the news, but it took no genius to know everyone was freaking out.