Chapter Eight - Soccer Games and Headaches

I LEFT THE SUV in the school's parking lot and headed toward the field, tightening my jacket to block the chilly wind. Mom changed my mind last minute, therefore the game had already started. From afar, I heard the spectators and the coach's irritating whistles. I searched for Emma, Sam and Jen. They were sitting on the middle stands and gesturing to come over.

"You're late," Emma pointed out.

"I had other things to do before the game. It took longer than I expected." Which was debating whether I should come at all or not.

"Oh honey, soon enough it'll change," she replied. "You're just in time for the break."

I focused my attention on the field and spotted Adam running up to catch the ball despite being tailed by a player from the other team. The cheerleaders danced and clapped. Only ten seconds left on the timer.

Adam skillfully managed the ball along the synthetic grass, crossed several feet to surpass his shadow and neared the opposite goal. He gazed further back. His coast was clear.

A teammate came forth, and Adam sent the ball with a powerful kick. The guy who received it was placed within shooting range of the goal, and he didn't hesitate. Everyone jumped up and yelled in triumph, clouding my vision in a moment's notice. Emma joined them calmly, applauding until the break was announced. I climbed down the stands.

Night had settled, leaving only the harsh light of the projectors above the field. I leaned against the wooden skeleton of the steps, suddenly feeling a vague throbbing in the back of my skull. Something about those projectors... they were too intense.

"Are you all right?" Jen snapped me out of my squinting. Her hazel eyes widened.

I nodded. "Yeah. I had a big day, and I think it's catching up."

Adam trodded over to us, a victorious smile on his face. "Enjoying the game, ladies?"

Sam turned to him. "You guys are gonna win this easy-peasy. You already have five more points than they do."

His smile widened, and the blue of his eyes shone with pride. "What can I say? We trained hard this summer. This season is going to be our season."

Among the audience, Chuck was snapping photos of the players with his camera. Sometimes, audience members approached him to get their picture taken. I gazed back at Adam.

"You were good out there," I said, raising my voice in order to be heard. "Do you have a scholarship for this?"

"No. I'm kind of hoping I will, but soccer isn't my only focus, either."

"Really? What else?"

"Chemistry is an option. I'm not too bad at it." He jabbed my shoulder with his index. "I can spark chemistry with just about anyone."

The girls rolled their eyes and complained at his terrible joke, but I laughed.

"No seriously," he added, folding his arms. "I enjoy it."

I rubbed my temples as the pain in my head amplified like a hammer pounding at my brain. Just when I was about to answer, the coach called Adam, and he jogged back onto the field. All around him, people greeted and congratulated him. The sound of it all just rang and rang and there was that whistle again.

I realized the girls were looking at me.

"He's quite popular, isn't he?"

Emma gave a lopsided grin. "Sort of, yes. He's a good player and has been on the team since first year of high school. He's not too much of a jock compared to others."